Hi Everyone and Happy Monday!
Today is National Donut Day! What a great way to start the week! I’m pretty stoked I made two National Holidays. Remember yesterday when I said I was going to make my Cinnamon Apple Pancakes? Well I didn’t make them, but I took the idea and decided on making Apple Cider Baked Donuts!!
I told my Husband that I made these for him, and he told me no you didn’t you made these for your blog! He he yes I did, but he sure enjoyed them! Thanks to blogging I’m always whipping up something new. I’m glad he liked them!! These little donuts are my munchkin versions from Dunkin Donuts. Oh Dunkin Donuts, how I miss you! That’s one thing stinky about California, no Dunkin Donuts!! I guess that’s better for my waist line!
Since these are cake donuts, I highly recommend eating them the day you bake them. For me, since this batch makes 41 of them, and it’s just my Husband and I, I’m going to freeze them and hope they are ok. I never froze donuts, but I’d imagine they should still taste pretty good.
To cut back on sugar, I decided to spray my mini muffin pans with cooking spray and then I sprinkled sugar in each tin. The bottom of the donuts have a little sweet crunch to them. To take it up one more notch I decided to serve these donuts with sugar-free maple syrup and a pinch of apple cider. You pop a stick into the donut and you have a donut sucker and it makes it easier for dipping. With the maple syrup they tasted like apple cinnamon pancake bites!!!
These donuts are light, fluffy and taste like apple and cinnamon. I love them. I decided to make these since it’s a perfect fall treat and they are healthy too!! Only 36 calories a donut! You can’t beat that!! To keep the calorie count low I only used 1/3 cup brown sugar and to keep them moist I used plain greek yogurt! I love adding greek yogurt to make baked goods, it really does at moister to them.
A light, fluffy, healthy baked donut, made with fresh apples, apple cider,and greek yogurt.
- Cooking Spray
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted (I used Brumble & Brown)
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large egg or substitute
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt, plain, non-fat
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup apple, cored, peeled, finely chopped
- Preheat oven 400°F. Spray two 24-cup mini muffin tin with baking spray and sprinkle sugar over muffin cups; and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon; set a side.
- In a separate, large bowl whisk together butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, greek yogurt and apple cider until smooth. Add mixture to the flour mixture and mix until just combined, but don't over mix.
- Fold in Apples.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake for 8 -10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (8 minutes worked for me)
- Serve muffins warm or at room temperature.
To make maple syrup dip: Take 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon apple cider and mix together. Calorie do not include dip.
Calories per donut: 36.3, Fat: .03, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 72, Potassium: 30.8, Carbs: 8.2, Fiber: .03, Sugar: 3.4, Protein: .09
I had fun making these and I’m really happy on healthy they are, completely guilt-free. What is your favorite kind of donut? I love the ones with the chocolate top and whip cream center. Oh man, those are GOOD!!! Really glad there is not a Dunkin Donuts here because I’d be eating them every day!! I don’t get how they say America runs on Dunkin? I guess California isn’t apart of America. lol I can see why!! Californians are a weird bunch! he he Glad I’m a Californian!!
Have a great day!!
P.S. I also have two other posts from last year with donuts. Let me tell you the pumpkin donuts are amazing! I’m making them next. Just don’t look at the photos, not great!