Skinny Vanilla Mocha Frappe

Hi Everyone,

Since it’s Monday again, I thought I would share with you my newest coffee creation.  I figured we would need the caffeine kick to get us through the day!  Wouldn’t you agree?

This my lovely Friends is so easy, so low-calorie, not to mention a chocolaty, creamy treat that is so guilt-free, that you can have two or three.  I love this drink!  Normally when I go to my favorite coffee shop Starbucks, I always get the skinny vanilla latte or I get it on ice.  I would love to order this frappuccino style but the sugar is way to high for me!!  You’ll see what I’m talking about in a minutes.

I made this drink using instant coffee, but you can always brew up your favorite coffee, the key is to make it strong cup.  Than I froze my coffee for 4 hours or you can do it overnight. Let it thaw a little bit, so your blender can crush the ice.  Than I added a little bit of stevia, vanilla extract and unsweetened cocoa powder.  Blend a way to this tasty drink.

I have to say, nothing like sitting outside on a hot day and sipping on a cool drink.  I simply love this drink!!  As we speak I have coffee in the freezer just waiting for me.  I can’t wait!

Now you know I love to do my comparisons.

Starbucks Caffe Vanilla Frappuccino Light Blended Coffee – Grande:  Calories:  180,  Fat:  0,  Sodium:  200,  Carbs:  40,  Sugar:  39,  Protein:  3

My Skinny Mocha Frappe – over 2 cups:  Calories:  43.3,  Fat:  0,  Sodium:  65,  Carbs:  7, Sugar:  6,  Protein:  4.2

You have to love mine!  I guarantee you’ll love the taste!! ;)

Skinny Vanilla Mocha Frappe

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 2 heaping cups

Serving Size: 1

Skinny Vanilla Mocha Frappe

Ice coffee blended drink made with milk, vanilla and cocoa powder.

Ingredients

1. 1 heaping teaspoon instant coffee
  2. 1 1/2 cups water
  3. 1/2 cup skim milk
  4. 3 tsp vanilla extract
  5. 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  6. 1 packet stevia or 1 tbsp. sugar (to taste)

Instructions

1. In a cup mix coffee and water and stir until combined. Place in a shallow container, cover and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
  2. Once coffee is frozen, place in a blender with the milk, vanilla, stevia and cocoa powder. Blend until combined.

Notes

You do not need to use instant coffee, you can brew a strong cup of your favorite coffee and freeze it, just make sure it's 1 1/2 cups.

If coffee is to frozen for your blender to handle let it sit on the counter for a few minutes to thaw out.

Calories: 43.3, Fat: 0, Sodium: 65, Carbs: 7, Sugar: 6, Protein: 4.2

Well my Peeps, I’m making this short and sweet today!  So I am taking off to enjoy my Sunday!  Going to make my coffee drink and sit by the pool!

Have a wonderful week!

Toodles,

Jen

Feel Free to Share! :)Share on Facebook999Tweet about this on Twitter24Pin on Pinterest329,623Share on StumbleUpon27Share on Google+7Share on Reddit0Share on LinkedIn2Share on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

Comments

1. Wow, what a comparison! I LOVE frozen coffee drinks, but they are always way to sweet for my tastes (even when I have them reduce the amount of syrup). Will definitely be trying your version this summer! :)

• I know about sweetness, if you do get one at the coffee shop, ask for half the amount of pumps. Than it will be less sweet for you! I do 3 pumps now instead of there standard 7 in a Grande.

• Starbucks actually puts 4 pumps in a grande beverage, iced or hot. There are 1 or 2 pumps in a grande frappucino (I can’t remember which because I haven’t worked there in 3 years).

@ Heather, it’s probably still too sweet for you because the base is sweet too. If you halved the syrup and added a shot of espresso it wouldn’t be as sweet but the consistency isn’t the same. Personally, I think it’s a better consistency.

2. Oh yes, an extra dose of caffeine is exactly what I’m going to need today. Love this! I haven’t ordered a frap in years because of the calories but now I can have my favorite frozen drink without the guilt!

3. This is exciting! 43 calories? How cool – I know I will be making lots of these this summer! Thanks Jen!

4. Totally could go for one of these right about now!

5. This looks sooo refreshing. The Starbucks Frappes are way too sugary — I don’t even put sugar in my coffee, just milk or cream — so this is perfect. Love the jar you used too! But did you do the calorie count before or after you added the whipped cream? ;)

6. That looks SOOO good! Definitely going to try it!

7. this sounds so awesome i am definitely pinnin it. ill make a decaf version….but i just love the flavor of coffee-cant give that up!!

8. Oh this looks so luscious and refreshing! But dang it, I hate the taste of coffee. I’m wracking my brain for a substitute that would be low cal but a different taste. Anyone have a good idea to share?

• Hmmm, may you could make a low calorie hot chocolate like Swiss Miss (25 calories a pack) and freeze that, just omit the cocoa powder when you go to make it. Or make it with coffee, but just go very light on it instead of making it strong. You won’t notice the coffee taste so much with the mocha!

• The Swiss Miss is a great idea, thanks. I’m the weird person in the crowd who dislikes coffee taste so much I don’t even like mocha ice cream – love the smell though!

• demijean says:

if you ever want to give coffee another try I’d recommend cold brewing it! it has ZERO of the bitterness you can get from drip brewing, even if you use the cheapest, no flavor added coffee. It’s also nice because you can do a lot at once and store it in a pitcher in the fridge.

9. thank you so much for sharing this! can’t wait to try it with my sister this weekend! do you know anything i could add to give it more of a frozen texture? ice might water it down to much. could i substitute the water for ice? thanks!!! (:

• If you freeze it, at least partly frozen (4 hours), it doesn’t taste watered at all and the consistency is the same as a Frappuccino (your frozen texture). Starbucks uses water, coffee and milk to make there’s, plus there syrups. If you want to skip water in it, you chould replace it with milk, but you will just need more of it and the calories will go up. Make it both ways and you and your sister can have a taste test to see which way you like it! You should check out my Coconut Mocha Frappe, that doesn’t contain water. http://www.peanutbutterandpeppers.com/2012/05/10/coconut-mocha-frappe/

10. that looks SO GOOD! I take leftover coffee and sometimes make coffee ice cubes with it and then take the cubes and put them into my alredy refrigerated pitcher (yes, that I keep on hand, cold, at all times) of coffee. I need to freeze the whole thing and then do what you did with the milk, vanilla, stevia and cocoa powder…super good looking!

11. Oh what I’d give to start my day with one of these! :)

12. I can’t wait to try this. I love Starbucks, but it’s so expensive. I wouldn’t even feel guilty about this drink!

13. Totally just made these today and they’re pretty good. I, myself, have more of a sweet tooth so I added another tablespoon of sugar and a good amount of chocolate syrup into – and it tastes delicious. :) Thanks!

14. I don’t think I saw this in the comments, unless I over looked it; Have you considered pouring the coffee in an ice tray to make cubes? I just thought that would be easier and less chance of it being too frozen for the blender.

15. This looks amazing! And such great nutritional stats!

Check out my latest recipe @ bakingblissful.blogspot.com

16. I’m from New Zealand, and we’re in the middle of winter at the moment, I will definitely making a note of this in my recipe book so I can make it when Summer comes. Frappes are my one weakness, a very expensive weakness!

17. michelle t says:

yummy! i am drinking mineas i type this….i made mine super easy: I froze my coffee in one of the mugs for my Magic Bullet..and then just added the extra stuff after it froze, stuck it on the blender and voila—literally took me 3 mins.

18. So good! Ice cube tray would definitely help – I had a lot of trouble breaking the frozen block of coffee up. Yum!

19. If you put a pinch of xanthum gum in there it won’t separate. That’s the frappucino secret!

20. Oh my goodness! I am sooo about cooling drinks this summer, and this is perfect! Would love to enjoy it sitting next to a pool…like your photo shows! *-* You can be sure I will be enjoying this this weekend. Thanks so very much for linking up at Weekend Potluck. (Did I miss seeing a link back?)

21. Kaitlyn says:

This sounds amazing but I’m not a huge coffee lover. I can stand the amount they use at starbucks. How does this compare? Are you able to use a less strong version?

22. Hey there! Just wanted to let you know we featured you in our Favorite Find Fridays post over at Whimsically Homemade. We used one of your pictures. If that’s a problem let us know and we’ll remove it immediately. Thanks for your great inspiration!

23. This looks amazing and super easy! I may have to freeze up a lot more than just a few cups ;). Did you use real whipped cream in your picture or Cool Whip? Also, did you include those calories in the drink?

24. Danielle says:

I tried this with a sample I had of Peppermint Mocha instant coffee… AMAZING!

25. Wow, this is perfect for summer! I can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can’t wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

Michelle

26. Beautiful pictures and great recipe! I think unsweetened vanilla almond milk would make it even fewer calories! :)

**Sorry to sound like your grammar teacher, but “too” is for “also”, not “to”. :)

27. Oh yum! I love these drinks at Starbucks but not the price tag or the calorie count. Great job at recreating it at home with a guiltfree slant. It looks divine it the jar outside.

28. This looks so good and I’m defiantly going to try it! I just wanted to know how you make the coffee part. Usually I use milk and instant coffee, but I’m wondering if that just adds to the calories instead of using water?

29. I WANT SOME!!! Please share with me?!? YUM!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! I can’t wait to see what you’ll be linking up this evening!

30. demijean says:

Hey! I didn’t read through all the comments but my friend who worked at a starbucks said they way they help to keep the frozen drinks from separating is xanthan gum! I find it in the gluten free section on the baking aisle at Walmart. they have big bags of it that are like $9 or you can buy small packages (similar to yeast) for about 40cents. I just thought you might like to give it a try (: it doesn’t need more than a sprinkle or so while you mix it up.

31. CONGRATS!! You’ve been featured at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!
    Come and grab your Featured Button.. you deserve it :)

32. This sounds so yummy. You had me at coffee baby. Thank you for sharing. Rhonda

33. I love this!! Already made 3 times this week!! I made some really strong coffee, then froze it in ice cube trays… now I can whip it up pretty darn quick using 2 of the ice cubes and adding the remaining stuff…YUM!!

34. Love this, Jen! Sounds like one of my protein shakes I make! Definitely going to try this, looks delish!

35. I was just curious (not trying to doubt you) But I entered this recipe on My Fitness Pal and it came up to be 87 calories? Which is still AMAZING so I am not complaining. I was just wandering if there is something different I need to use to make it only 43 calories? (My skim milk alone was 43 calories?)

• Hi,

My skim milk is 80 calories for 1 cup,and the cocoa powder is 10 calories per tablespoon for Hersheys Brand. There are no calories in vanilla extract or stevia.

40 calories of Bayview Farms Fat Free Milk, (0.50 cup), 3 calories of Baking – Hershey’s Cocoa, unsweetened, (0.33 tbsp)

I hope this helps.

• Hi! I love your blog! However, after some research, I found that one tsp of both pure and imitation vanilla extract contains 12 calories thus increasing the calorie count 79. Either way, it’s still less than 100 cals overall :)

36. Is this whipped cream on top or perhaps some whipped coconut milk?
    Looks delish!

37. You could use choco potien powder and make it a meal! More calories, but it would be an awesome post workout treat!

38. Mmmm! Thank you for sharing this delish alternative to Starbucks.
    My waist-line and wallet thank you.

39. I found this through Pinterest but have also stumbled across your blog through a club, either Secret Recipe Club or Holiday Recipe Club b/c I recognized it! :) Anyway, I’m planning to make this with my cold-brewed coffee in an ice cube tray. It looks so creamy and good!

40. Marissa says:

I don’t drink coffee anymore but I always did love these drinks, do you think it would work just as well if i just froze 1 1/2 cups of milk or hot chocolate instead and gave this a whirl?

41. Tiffany says:

I just made this and me and my sister LOVED it! We don’t like chocolate though so we substituted the cocoa powder for sugar free cinnamon flavoring I had and it was delicious! Thanks for sharing!

42. I get free diabetic medication through my employer’s insurance as long as I go to counseling regularly with a Kroger pharmacist. I was just complaining to him today how much I love Starbuck’s frappucino’s & how hard it is to give them up. I now occasionally order skinny “fraps” with sugar-free caramel flavor instead of mocha. However, the coffee base Starbucks uses has sugar, so this is ideal for me since I have to count CARBS! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

43. As I try to loose weight for my sister’s upcoming wedding, I have to say, my one guilty pleasure was heading to starbucks for a Frappacino… this is an amazing substitute! Not only is it MUCH cheaper saving lots of money, it’s equally as good and only a fraction of the calories! I have made one every day for the last 2 weeks! (And I’ve lost 2 pounds this past week!) Highly recommend. The only thing I changed was I added an extra spenda because I needed a little more sugar! other then that, PERFECT!!

• Yah! Congratulations! I am so happy for you!! I love this drink so much! I drink one almost everyday! To save time, I chill my coffee in the morning and throw ice cubes int he blender and make it that way to! I’m so happy you like it! Congratulations again on the weight loss!!! Woohoo!!!

44. What a wonderful drink! Thank you for sharing this recipe on RecipeNewZ! It was very popular, and as such, today it was featured on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/RecipeNewZ Congratulations!

45. I’m going to go freeze my coffe and but some unsweetened coffee. It sopunds yummy !!! But this is my favorite drink . Thank you . Keep up the great work !

46. Love this idea! Now, I am a HUGE fan of staws- where in the world did you find yours?! I’ve looked all over amazon since they usually have everything but no luck. Could you tell me where I can find them?!?!?!
    Thanks in advance :)

47. Jennifer Roper says:

Hi I would like to know if when using espresso then I should leave out the water, right. I made a version today but didn’t have the unsweetened cocoa and trying to watch the sugar just added a tsp of the sweetened, a cup of skim milk. My version tasted super skinny really no flavor but hey i never waste espresso and I never use coffee. My question is how much espresso would u use instead??

Thanks

• Hi Jennifer, Follow the directions on your package of espresso. I never made coffee with espresso, just instant or regular coffee. I always make 1 1/2 cups of coffee for my drinks, then add 1/2 cup milk. Did you add the vanilla extract? The cocoa powder is necessary for the chocolatly taste, but id optional. If you don’t have Stevia, I would recommend add a little more sugar. If you don’t want the calories, try Splenda or Truvia. I just bought espresso powder last week and I haven’t used it yet. I will check out the package and see what it says and test it out. Just give me a few hours and I will get back to you.

48. Guess what I’m making tomorrow?!?!?!?!?!?!

49. I am going to try this with almond extract tomorrow!!! Thank you for sharing!

50. I’ve been making these almost every morning this week since I read your blog post, and now I just shared the recipe with my cousin who has been trying to lose some weight and normally drinks the high calorie drinks from Starbucks or Tim Horton’s. So thank you for sharing this with all of us!

51. This was such a good idea and it only open the door to more possibilities! Like this morning where I used coconut milk and cocoa powder with a touch of coconut extract for a mocha coconut effect. yumm!

52. I just tried this tonight..I have to say I am not completely bowled over by it, but I can see where it would/could satisfy a sweet tooth, if you don’t want to spend the money or the calories. I made mine too runny. I would make it again, though.

• Sorry you didn’t care for it. It’s one of my favorite drinks and my Husband’s too!! Sometimes it takes some tweaking to get what you like!! One thing about cooking is not everyone’s tastes are the same. Thank you for letting me know!!! Have a great evening! :)

53. Lisa in NY says:

I made this today and it was delicious. I added an extra stevia and used unsweetend vanilla almond milk. Next time I am going to freeze coffee in ice tray because I think it will be easier to blend. I am going to try some of your other drinks very soon!

54. Question: do u boil ur water then mix the instant coffee in, then freeze?
    I’m not a coffee drinker…but I remember my parents boiling a pot of water when they used instant coffee.
    I know u said u could brew it…but I don’t have a coffee maker.
    Thx!

• You could, but I don’t. I take 1 1/2 cups luke warm water and add 1 heaping teaspoon of instant coffee into it and stir until dissolved. Pour into a shallow freezer safe container and freeze. To defrost, I cheat and sometimes I’ll microwave the frozen coffee for 40 seconds to soften it up. Other readers have told me they freeze there coffee in ice cube trays.

55. Do you think pouring the coffee into ice cube trays is a good idea?

56. Ok so i just made this and its so good and i used ice cube trays and it came out beautifully thats again!

57. Hi Jennifer, my name is Maria. This is an amazing recipe. I love all your recipes so much that I tried and added this one to my blog, but giving the link to here, as the original source, as I always do with everything I publish. Thank you very much for your time and kind consideration and for the excellent recipes you bring to us.

58. I will be trying this today! I’m assuming instead of freezing the coffee I could just add ice?!

59. Just made this! Delicious :)

60. looks good!! but I thought the light coffee didn’t have sugar in it??! I know u can get it with sugar substitute

61. As I read this, I was thinking, “I usually can’t wait 4 hours when I get a craving!” Then, genius struck…I’ll make coffee and pour into several ice cube trays to freeze. Then, when I want one of these yummy treats, I’ll just pop out the cubes I need. Plus, my blender can puree/blend a standard-sized ice cube just fine -so no waiting to thaw! Thanks for the genius recipe! :) PS: It’s also great with a TBSP of peanut butter – protein and yummy!

62. S Gallagher says:

I can’t wait to try this!! A little tip…. pour the 1 1/2 cups of coffee into ice cube trays and it will be a lot easier to blend :)

63. Hi I’m new to counting calories and I was just wondering how you figured out the calories in this drink? When I try I come up with 98. Thanks so much for the recipe.

• Hi, The non-fat milk is 40 calories for half cup (Bayview Brand), unsweetened cocoa powder (Hersheys) is 10 calories a tablespoon and I beleive I only used 1 in the recipe, Vanilla extract has 12 calories a tablespoon, which I didn’t know when I created this recipe. Coffee has no calories. Hope this helps. The drink has 55 calories. Thanks for reminding me to update the recipe with the calories.

64. OMG…thank you for sharing!!!! I fell in love with frappes from McDs when I gave up diet soda for lent. Unfortunately, the calorie count is through the roof! Now that I’ve taken up running, I don’t want my caffeine and sweets to add back all the calories I’ve burned. Not to mention, they aren’t cheap anywhere! I don’t like coffee but for some reason love these. Tried this recipe this afternoon and I’m in LOVE with it!!! You’ve helped me find a low cal treat for my sweet tooth this summer :-)
    Michelle recently posted…What Do You See?My Profile

65. First thing I thought of after reading this recipe. Make large pot of strong coffee. Fill ice cube trays. Put ice cubes in ziplock bag and you can make this all summer. Yippee

66. Looking forward to trying this but with decaf coffee. I was just thinking that it might be easier to put the coffee into ice cube trays so that it’ll blend better. Worth a try.

67. Thanks for this!!! I added a scoop of protein… I enjoy it before my morning workout!

68. I discovered recently that a little bit of sweetened condensed milk mixed with strong iced coffee tastes just like the bottled Starbucks frappuccino. I don’t like my coffee drinks too sweet either.

69. What about freezing the coffee in ice cube trays. Would make my work mornings a lot easier

70. Lorelei says:

Is it just me or nobody has thought about how many calories does the whip cream add to it? and don’t tell me not to add any to it because I love my whip cream plus it canmake or break a drink and the picture really will not look half has pretty has it does.
    There are 52 calories in 1 tablespoon of Whipping Cream.
    Anyway sometimse the problems are in the toppings that we add.

71. heather says:

made this with a few tweaks. Did 3/4 cup of coffee frozen in icecube trays and 3/4 regular. Fit in my bullet blender that way. Also, added 1 tbs of choc syrup. Even with this addition it is still WAY healthier than the mocha frappes I love at mcdonalds! And cheaper! :)

72. If I’m not too worried about the calories, could I use 1cup of water and 1 cup of what is laughinhly called full fat milk here – 3 pct.

73. Sorry to keep barging in. It was written in our newspapers not to drink skimmed milk. It has sugar in it plus ?

74. I was just curious how you got 43.3 calories? 1/2 a cup of skim milk is 45 calories alone? I got 110 calories with regular sugar which is obviously still way healthier then Starbucks. I would have loved for it to only be 43.3 calories but 110 is still great! Can’t wait to try it!

Coffee- 0-5
    1/2 cup skim milk- 45
    3 tsp Vanilla extract- 36
    1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder – 13 calories (4 grams)
    1 tbsp. sugar – 16 calories

Trackbacks

1. [...] Skinny Vanilla Mocha Frappe | Peanut Butter and Peppers Hi Everyone, Since it’s Monday again, I thought I would share with you my newest coffee creation. I figured we would need the caffeine kick to get us through the day! SugarBlog – Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries. What? Yes! Um… ok. Why didn't I think of this?!?!?! Microwave Caramels Recipe – Food.com – 367414 I will add another 5 star review!! The Last Iced Coffee Recipe You'll Ever Need! I love Iced Coffee. When was the last time you had s'mores? [...]

2. [...] Skinny Vanilla Mocha Frappe by Peanut Butter and Peppers [...]

3. [...] PeanutButterAndPeppers.com for this delicious way to Save Money and Calories on Starbuck’s Caffe Vanilla [...]

4. [...] peanutbutterandpeppers.com via Tricia on [...]

5. [...] Or, snooping out a few low-fat dishes for your next get together to stay on track. I love this easy iced coffee recipe! I have a few boards of my own on Pinterest that I like to pin workout routines and moves to [...]

6. [...] Well, Isaac has officially canceled school tomorrow; time to utilize the kitchen!  Today, I’m working on two recipes at once: coffee and chicken.  The last coffee drink from Pinterest was a disaster; we’re due for another attempt.  This recipe was originally pinned by Jennifer Drummond, which she found on a healthy food blog named Peanut Butter and Peppers. [...]

7. [...] I thoroughly enjoyed my week and plan to continue. As the summer approaches when I do not enjoy hot coffee any longer, I will switch over to iced coffee or cappuccino and use this recipe found here. [...]

8. [...] Original recipe: Peanut Butter & Peppers [...]

9. [...]  Skinny Vanilla Mocha Frappe - This is my personal favorite frappe and my Husbands too!  This has been viewed over 300,000 [...]

10. Weekly Recap says:

[...] Skinny Vanilla Mocha Frappe [...]

11. [...] made my traditional Skinny Vanilla Mocha Frappe, and added a little bit of extra tender love to it.  After all everyone and even coffee sometimes [...]

12. […] combination made in heaven and yes I created the ultimate coffee drink.  This one, I think tops my Skinny Vanilla Frappe.  I liked it so much I made it three times this past week.  Darn good!  So my Friends today I […]