Today for #SundaySupper we teamed up with Gallo Family Vineyards to share with you our favorite tailgating recipes that pairs perfect with wine. Your probably thinking wine and tailgating? Yes! Wine is the perfect complement to any dish that you serve up and what makes it even better is that Gallo Family Vineyards carries mini wine bottles (187ml size). Perfect size for individuals and placing in your ice bucket.
For today’s tailgating recipe I made Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Cakes. Oh my gosh, if you’re a Buffalo Chicken fan, you will love these cakes. They are cheesy, spicy, chock full of chicken and a breeze to make. I got this idea from a restaurant that I went to. They served up Buffalo Chicken Balls that were fried. I took that idea and ran with, it to make a more healthy, guilt-free appetizer that will sure to please any football fan. Whats even better, they taste better than the fried ones that I had at the restaurant.
To make them I took cooked chicken, shredded it and added it to a bowl with cheddar cheese, hot sauce and bread crumbs. Give it a good mix and then shape into patties. You can make any size you like. I went with about a 1/4 cup scoop. Once you shape the patties you refrigerate them for 30 minutes, just so it holds together while cooking it.
To cook it, I added some cooking spray and a pinch of butter to a skillet. Add the chicken patties and cooked each side for about 4 minutes. Make sure you keep the heat on medium, if it’s to high it will burn and the patties will stick. Trust me, I did that on the first batch. Once they were done, I served them with some celery sticks, blue cheese dressing and of course Gallo Family Vineyards White Zinfandel. The White Zinfandel sets off the spiciness of the Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Cakes with hints of strawberry and peach.
- Serves: 9 patties
- Serving size: 1 patty
- 1¼ lbs. chicken, skinless, boneless, cooked, shredded
- 1 cup Franks Hot Sauce) or favorite hot sauce
- 1.5 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. butter
- In a bowl, add the chicken, hot sauce, cheddar cheese and bread crumbs. Mix until combined. Take about a ¼ cup of the mixture and flatten it into a patty. (Be sure to wear gloves because the hot sauce can sting). Place the patties on a plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes, you want it to hold together. (NOTE: You can make the patties any size you prefer, small or bigger.)
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat, spray with cooking spray and butter. Once butter is melted add the chicken. Cook each side for about 4 minutes, until lightly golden, flip and cook until other side is lightly golden. Be sure to give enough room in the pan to flip the patties, I cooked 4 at a time. Place the patties on a paper towel to cool for a few minutes. Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing if desired.
These Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Cakes would also make for a good slider too. We simply love these patties in our house no matter how we serve them.
I thought I would give you a few wine pairings for any kind tailgating treats you may serve up. Just check what kind of appetizer your going to make, such as hamburgers and Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon would make the perfect matches. Making a dish with mozzarella cheese? Try Pinot Grigio.
GFV White Zinfandel – Spicy, onions, havarti cheese, sweet and sour, tuna
GVF Merlot – Burgers, enchiladas, steak, chicken wings, pizza, gruyere cheese, salsa
GFV Pink Moscato – salads, fruit, cream
GFV Cabernet Sauvignon – brisket, chocolate, hamburgers, steak, blue cheese, cheddar cheese
GFV Moscato – fruit dishes, salmon, crab, soulvaki
GFV Pinot Grigio – ham, fish, greek foods, shrimp, pizza with white sauce, mozzarella cheese, gouda cheese
GFV Chardonnay – Shrimp, Chicken Fajitas, Chimichanga, garlicky
GFV Pinot Noir – Smoked dishes such as brisket and salmon, tzatziki dip, pizza and feta cheese
GFV Red Moscato – peaches, ham, coconut, salmon, crab
You can check out Gallo Family Vineyard BBQ Recipes for more ideas. Just go here.
You can also get a $1.00 off coupon here.
You can find Gallo Family Vineyards Wines here. You can also check out Gallo Family Vineyards website for their wine varieties and some great recipes.
Have a fabulous Sunday! Now time to get the tailgating party started!
- Bacon, Onion and Cheddar Sliders by The Redhead Baker
- Basil and Sundried Tomato Hummus by Ruffles & Truffles
- Braided Stromboli by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Braised Brats with Apples and Onions by Flavor Mosaic
- Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bites by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Cakes by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken and Chorizo Nachos by Family Foodie
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Greek Style Grilled Wings with Yogurt Dill Sauce by Supper for a Steal
- Meatball Subs with Garlic-White Wine Sauce by Foxes Love Lemons
- Mini Caprese Polenta Pizzas by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mini Chorizo and Cheese Quiches by Magnolia Days
- Pizza Rolls by Momma’s Meals
- Ricotta Toasts with Tomatoes by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Beef Chili by Jelly Toast
- Spicy Grilled Clams in Foil by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Strawberry Mint Red Moscato Sangria by Feed Me, Seymour
- Sun-dried Tomato and Feta Dip with Za’atar Chips by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Ultimate Stadium Nachos by Melanie Makes
- Veggie Pizza with Cauliflower Crust by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.