Happy Friday to you!! Today I have another quick meal that can be made in less than 10 minutes! It’s so simple, yet so tasty and it’s so Fall season. Since I am running out of time, with deadlines to meet, not only is this meal quick, so is this post! So let me share with you my wonderful Chicken, Apple and Sweet Potato Salad.
This salad is healthy, loaded with flavor and I love it! It’s made with mixed salad greens, chicken, apples, grapes, sweet potato, cranberries and goat cheese. Oh yum!! Funny, when I made the sweet potato, I peeled it and it was white on the inside. I saw the dark color of the skin and I know the darker the skin the sweeter it tastes. However, I guess I grabbed a Chinese sweet potato because of the white color. It still tasted good, so don’t let the photos fool you, the white in the salad are my taters!
Since we are talking sweet potatoes, let me share with you my cooking shortcut. I peeled my potato, cut it into bite size pieces, place in a small bowl, covered the potatoes half way with water. Covered with plastic wrap and baked in the microwave for two minutes. Than I stirred it and baked for another minute and a half. In 3 1/2 minutes my potatoes were done. I drained the water, let it cook for a couple of minutes and then added it to my salad.
For the chicken I cheated! I bought a rotisserie chicken from my grocery store. Measured my chicken and placed it on the salad. For the dressing I used a simple balsamic dressing. I love the Whole Foods fat-free balsamic dressing. Only 20 calories per two tablespoons. With all these quick short-cuts, dinner really took me a couple of minutes. I served this salad with a chunk of french bread. I know it’s not wheat bread, but I love french bread and it was fresh and warm. I couldn’t resist!
- 2 cups mixed greens
- ⅓ cup (2.5 oz) sweet potato, cooked
- ¼ (50 grams)cup apple
- ¼ cup grapes, cut in half
- 1 tbsp. dried cranberries
- 2 oz chicken, cooked (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- ½ oz goat cheese
- 2 tbsp. balsamic dressing (your favorite)
- In a bowl, add mixed greens, sweet potato, apples, grapes, dried cranberries and chicken and top with goat cheese and your favorite balsamic dressing.
- To make the sweet potatoes: Peel potato, and cut into bite size pieces. Place in a bowl (I used a soup bowl) and add water to cover half way up the potatoes. Cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir with a spoon and microwave for another 1½ minutes or until fork tender. Drain the water from the potatoes, and let cool. Meanwhile, make your salad.
Note: Rotisserie Chicken has more calories than regular boneless, skinless chicken breasts. If you make your own chicken you can knock off 50 calories and some fat on the salad.
I just love this salad and would make for a great lunch too! The salad may seem small, but it packs a lot of nutrition and fiber so it will keep you full for hours!! No nighttime snack for me!
Hope you don’t mind some of the quick meals this week, but as usual time is going way to quick! I am sure you feel the same way! Can you believe it is, 74 days till Christmas. Here is the Christmas Clock so you can keep track yourself.
Have a great weekend! I am looking forward to next weeks posts and I can’t wait to share my recipes with you!