Happy Friday to you!! Today I have another quick meal that can be made in less than 10 minutes! It’s so simple, yet so tasty and it’s so Fall season. Since I am running out of time, with deadlines to meet, not only is this meal quick, so is this post! 🙂 So let me share with you my wonderful Chicken, Apple and Sweet Potato Salad.
This salad is healthy, loaded with flavor and I love it! It’s made with mixed salad greens, chicken, apples, grapes, sweet potato, cranberries and goat cheese. Oh yum!! Funny, when I made the sweet potato, I peeled it and it was white on the inside. I saw the dark color of the skin and I know the darker the skin the sweeter it tastes. However, I guess I grabbed a Chinese sweet potato because of the white color. It still tasted good, so don’t let the photos fool you, the white in the salad are my taters! 🙂
Since we are talking sweet potatoes, let me share with you my cooking shortcut. I peeled my potato, cut it into bite size pieces, place in a small bowl, covered the potatoes half way with water. Covered with plastic wrap and baked in the microwave for two minutes. Than I stirred it and baked for another minute and a half. In 3 1/2 minutes my potatoes were done. I drained the water, let it cook for a couple of minutes and then added it to my salad.
For the chicken I cheated! I bought a rotisserie chicken from my grocery store. Measured my chicken and placed it on the salad. For the dressing I used a simple balsamic dressing. I love the Whole Foods fat-free balsamic dressing. Only 20 calories per two tablespoons. With all these quick short-cuts, dinner really took me a couple of minutes. I served this salad with a chunk of french bread. I know it’s not wheat bread, but I love french bread and it was fresh and warm. I couldn’t resist!
- 2 cups mixed greens
- ⅓ cup (2.5 oz) sweet potato, cooked
- ¼ (50 grams)cup apple
- ¼ cup grapes, cut in half
- 1 tbsp. dried cranberries
- 2 oz chicken, cooked (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- ½ oz goat cheese
- 2 tbsp. balsamic dressing (your favorite)
- In a bowl, add mixed greens, sweet potato, apples, grapes, dried cranberries and chicken and top with goat cheese and your favorite balsamic dressing.
- To make the sweet potatoes: Peel potato, and cut into bite size pieces. Place in a bowl (I used a soup bowl) and add water to cover half way up the potatoes. Cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir with a spoon and microwave for another 1½ minutes or until fork tender. Drain the water from the potatoes, and let cool. Meanwhile, make your salad.
Note: Rotisserie Chicken has more calories than regular boneless, skinless chicken breasts. If you make your own chicken you can knock off 50 calories and some fat on the salad.
I just love this salad and would make for a great lunch too! The salad may seem small, but it packs a lot of nutrition and fiber so it will keep you full for hours!! No nighttime snack for me! 🙂
Hope you don’t mind some of the quick meals this week, but as usual time is going way to quick! I am sure you feel the same way! Can you believe it is, 74 days till Christmas. Here is the Christmas Clock so you can keep track yourself.
Have a great weekend! I am looking forward to next weeks posts and I can’t wait to share my recipes with you!