Today for #SundaySupper we teamed up with Gallo Family Vineyards to share with you our favorite Labor Day recipe. But not only are you getting some amazing, fun recipes, but we are sharing with you our party tips to help make your Labor Day event, easy and run smoothly.
For my recipe today, I took one of my favorite all-time favorite salads and changed it up just a bit just so I can use up and enjoy the last of the summer berries. My recipe is for a Caprese Fruit Salad. It’s light, refreshing and a nice dish to accompany anything you are serving at your Labor Day party. The salad is chock full of fresh tomatoes, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and freshly cut basil and topped off with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic glaze. It’s truly one of my favorites. I could eat this every day.
One thing about this salad is that it is very forgiving. You can add as much fruit as you would like. If you like lots of strawberries, add them. Not a fan of blackberries? Skip them. It’s whatever you enjoy. I personally love the combination of Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top with the balsamic glaze. If you don’t have balsamic glaze, just drizzle some balsamic salad dressing over the top.
I paired my salad with Gallo Family Vineyards Sweet White Blend Wine. It’s the perfect companion to my recipe. It’s light, crisp and slightly sweet. The wine has a nice peach flavor with hints of tropical fruit and honeydew flavors. It’s perfect for a summer party.
Another wine that I thought would go great with my salad is Gallo Family Vineyards Café Zinfandel. Café Zinfandel is a light bodied when that is slightly sweet and sparkles with strawberry, raspberry and watermelon flavors.
For my party tips:
- Plan your menu ahead of time, will you have a theme?
- Grocery shop at least two days before the party.
- Prep your fruits and vegetables the night before. Cutting them all up makes for easy preparation the next day.
- Make a CD with your favorite music.
- Make sure you have plenty of chairs to sit in.
- Marinate any meat you plan on serving the night before.
- Make easy meals, so you can spend time with friends and family and not spend it in the kitchen.
- Make your party Pot Luck, so everyone can share their favorite dishes.
- Have coolers out with your wine set up in it. Make sure you have a cork screw in reach and plenty of wine glasses.
- Use plastic glasses if you’re having a party outside. You don’t want someone to drop a glass on the patio.
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half (or tomatoes of choice)
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup blackberries, cut in half
- 1 cup blueberries
- 8 oz. mozzarella balls, cut in half
- 5 basil leaves, sliced
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. balsamic glaze
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Layer the tomatoes, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and mozzarella on a large plate. Sprinkle the basil leaves over the top. Drizzle the top of the salad with olive oil and balsamic glaze and add salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately
Be sure to check out all the goodies that everyone made. I can’t wait to see what new recipes I’ll be adding to my party menu.
For more entertaining recipe and tips you can check out Gallo Family Vineyards Entertaining Blog.
Have a fabulous Sunday!
- Arugula Fig and Goat Cheese Salad by Family Foodie
- Caprese Fruit Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Salad by The Crumby Cupcake
- Five Fruity Wine Spritzers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Grilled Flank Steak Pinwheels by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Shrimp Burgers with Quick Remoulade Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hatch Chile Avocado Cream Dip by Magnolia Days
- Harissa Spiced Chicken Kabobs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Mango Habanero Shrimp Flatbread by Flavor Mosaic
- Peach Barbecue Chicken Wings by Life Tastes Good
- Salmon Bagel Sliders with Strawberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese and Basil Aioli by Food Done Light
- Sunny Side Up Frittata with Ham by Recipe For Perfection
- Tuscan Panzanella Salad by Shockingly Delicious
To sweeten the holiday:
- Blackberry Buckle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Strawberry Cream Puff Bites by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Hasty Chocolate Pudding by Nosh My Way
- Raspberry Lamingtons by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Raspberry Upside Down Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Summer Fruit Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Tropical Angel Food Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Vanilla Bean Roasted Peaches by Alida’s Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.