I was thumbing through my recipes checking out my banana bread recipes and I realized I have a bazillion of them, but one that was missing from my collection was a Classic Banana Bread. I love changing it up, but I have been told by some, to just stick to classic, traditional recipes. Fine, I’ll do that. So with that in mind I made a low-calorie, classic banana bread that is simply amazing! I guess it is always nice to stick to classic, but ummmmm, I do love to change it up and have fun! So let me introduce to you the newest banana bread recipe to my collection, the Classic Banana Bread.
This bread is light, moist, fluffy and if you’re a banana bread fan, I think you will enjoy this recipe. It is delish! I ate like 3 slices while photographing it. I know, that is well more than a serving, but I had to test it, and then I had to smear butter on it and well I just had to eat it! I can’t help myself. I’m kind of banana bread fanatic!
To lighten up this recipe I made a few modifications, I used greek yogurt, egg substitute and Brummel and Brown butter, which is only 45 calories a tablespoon. It was not my intent, but since I am going on vacation, I wanted to use up the ingredients that I had and I don’t plan to go grocery shopping before vacation. I was kind of surprised, but the bread turned out buttery, which is just awesome considering I used a margarine in it.
The recipe is super-duper easy to make too. I beat together the sugar and butter, then added the eggs, vanilla and chopped up banana in it. I didn’t feel the need to mash the banana a head of time, just beat it in the liquid. Then I slowly added my flour mixture, just until combined, and placed in my bread pans until done. It takes about an hour to bake. I doubled up the recipe and made two loaves of bread, one for home and one for work.
- Serves: 1 loaf
- Serving size: 12 slices
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened (I used Brummel & Brown)
- ½ cup egg substitute or 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- ⅓ cup greek yogurt, plain or vanilla flavor
- 1 tsp.vanilla extract (omit if using vanilla yogurt)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 8½ x 4 bread pan with cooking spray, set a side.
- In a bowl add flour, baking soda and salt, mix together.
- In a large bowl beat together butter and sugar. Beat in egg substitute, banana, greek yogurt and vanilla extract until well incorporated. Stir in flour mixture just until combined. Do not over beat it.
- Pour batter into prepared bread pan and bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and take the bread out and place on a cooling rack.
Calories per slice: 162, Fat: 2, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 182, Potassium: 144, Carbs: 28, Fiber: 4, Sugar: 12, Protein: 5
This bread is amazing, just slightly warmed up in the microwave and slathered with butter. It’s a perfect for an on the go breakfast. I got great reviews on the recipe and I am sure to be making it again,especially around the holiday time.
Have a great day!