It’s another #SundaySupper and today we are slowing bringing in the new year by sharing slow-cooker/crockpot recipes! Oh yah!!! Nothing like a slow cooked meal when all of the flavors come together and become one awesome dish!!! It’s one of my favorite ways to cook, especially when I get home from work and the last thing I want to do is cook, but when you are using your Crockpot the meal is pretty much done for you and I love that!!
Today I made for you a warm bowl of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. Oh man this is so good! I haven’t had chicken and rice soup since I was a kid. It full of carrots, celery, chicken and the star of the show wild rice. It makes for the perfect weeknight meal and is great for lunches too!! This recipe makes 10 cups, and that gave me a few days of lunches.
Do you like my colorful carrots? Trader Joe’s had organic carrots in a variety of colors and I just had to buy them. It really brighten up the soup and made it a little more fun than traditional carrots. Not only is the recipe colorful, tasty and so easy to make, it also comes in at only 119 calories. Talk about guilt-free, I was able to have some crusty french bread to go with it!
A hearty, warm, healthy, low calorie soup chock full of carrots, celery, chicken and wild rice.
- 1 lbs. chicken breast, skinless, boneless
- 2 cups (185 grams) celery, diced
- 1 3/4 cups (235 grams) carrots, diced
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 8 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 3/4 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 1 tiny sprig of rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried
- 1 tbsp. parsley, dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Place all ingredients in the crockpot, set on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- About an hour before it's done, with two forks, shred the chicken. Taste the soup, if using low sodium chicken broth, you may need to add a chicken bouillon cube or salt for extra flavor.
- Serve and Enjoy
Calories per cup: 119, Fat: 1, Cholesterol: 26, Sodium: 118, Potassium: 147, Carbs: 14, Fiber: 2, Sugar: 1.4, Protein: 14.3
I really do love my Crockpot and I plan on using it more. I go through stages where I use it, but once I put it away I tend to forget about it. Do you ever do that with something?
Anyway, don’t forget to check out everyone’s slow cooker recipes. Every Sunday morning, I grab a cup of coffee and read every single #SundaySupper post. It’s my Sunday ritual and I really can’t wait for this weeks, since I could use more Crockpot recipes.
Have a wonderful rest of the day!
Ease into 2014 with these great slow-cooker and crock pot ideas from the Sunday Supper Group!
Whet Your Appetite
Simmering Soups, Stews, and Side Dishes
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Low-Carb Chunky Beefy Vegetable Soup from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Beef, Wine and Mushroom Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup from Foxes Love Lemons
- Beef Stew from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pot Roast and Portabello Stew from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Slow Cooker Black Bean and Polenta Stew from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Turkey Stew from Magnolia Days
- San Antonio Chunky Chicken Stew from The Weekend Gourmet
- Pumpkin, Chickpea & Lentil Stew from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Slow Cooker Chickpeas from Shockingly Delicious
- Football Sunday Teriyaki Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Apricot Jalapeno Pork Chops from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Vegan Slow Cooker Hoppin’ John from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow Cooker Coffee Glazed Brisket from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Honey BBQ Ribs from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Crockpot Country Style Pork Ribs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Jerk Pork from Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Beef Daube Provencal from Momma’s Meals
- Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore from The Dinner-Mom
- Chicken and Broccoli from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tacos de Lengua from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken & Black Beans for Tacos from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chinese Chicken from The Ninja Baker
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket French Dip Sandwiches from Neighborfood
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.