Today for #SundaySupper we are to reflect on the past year or to talk about resolutions for the up coming year. Today, to reflect my past year, I made nuts. This past year has been crazy for me! It seems I have been a blogging machine and honestly I don’t know how I posted a recipe just about everyday in 2011, 2012, 2013. This year I am going to change that! I love you Guys and love cooking but it has been stressful coming up with a recipe everyday. That is why I am taking a day off starting in 2014. I won’t be posting recipes on Wednesdays. I want to spend 2014 in more of a peaceful atmosphere. I want to take care of me and my family. I know taking one day off doesn’t seem like much, but trust me it is!!
Today’s recipe for my Sweet and Savory Mixed Nuts are a wonderful combination of sweet with a pinch of savory. The nuts are crunchy with a hint of maple syrup and then you get a nice savory flavor from the smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon and chili powder. The nuts almost have an Indian food taste to them. I couldn’t stop eating them.
I made these nuts just before Christmas so I could give them away as gifts and have a little bit of a healthy snack for me. I have eaten soooooooo many cookies this past month, that I am officially off cookies. I need to stay away. I hope I can? ha ha I’ll probably post a cookie recipe soon because that darn inner cookie monster calls me all of the time and eventually I’ll give in. But I will make them healthier because I have no control. I also had no control over these nuts that is why I made two batches, shame on me!
The nuts are super easy to make! I just cooked everything in a large skillet and than let them air dry in a baking pan. I like making flavored nuts this way, it’s so much easier and less of a mess then baking them. Plus the recipe only takes about 10 minutes to make which is great, especially when you don’t have time.
- Serves: 4 cups
- Serving size: ¼ cup (16 servings)
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. smokey paprika
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup blanched whole almonds
- 1 cup whole pecans
- 2 cups walnuts
- In a small bowl add chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, paprika and salt; set a side.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and maple syrup. Once butter is melted add the nuts and seasonings and mix until all your nuts are covered. Stirring every 30 seconds or so, cook until nuts are fragrant about 6 minutes.
- Quickly spread out onto prepared baking sheet. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Well this has been quite a nutty year for me and I really do think these nuts represent it! I had some sweet times and some savory times and I look so forward to see what is in store for me in 2014!
Be sure to check out what the other members of #SundaySupper have made to reflect their resolutions or reflections from this past year!
Have a fabulous day!
P.S. Here is a turkey vulture that I saw in my back yard this past week. My dog was freaking out and I thought it was because there was a cat int he yard, but nope, when I looked out the window I saw this massive bird sitting in a tree. This was the first time I have seen a turkey vulture so close. He let me take photos of him and when I was done he flew a way. He liked the idea of being on PB and P blog! lol
Join us this weekend for Reflections and Resolutions!
- Snowman Eggnog Pancakes from Shockingly Delicious
- Baked Oatmeal from In The Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding from girlichef
Appetizers & Snacks
- Bourbon Pecan Chocolate Popcorn from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Moroccan Cigars from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Baked Camembert with Caramel and Pecans from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pancetta & Goat Cheese Crostinis from Country Girl in the Village
- New Year’s Brezel from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Sweet and Savory Mixed Nuts from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Glazed Snickerdoodle Bars with Walnuts from Pies and Plots
- Champagne Shrimp and Pasta from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Main Dishes & Sides
- Minestrone Any Way from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pecan-Crusted Rainbow Trout from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Mushroom Risotto from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Zapiekanka (Polish ‘pizza’) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Hoppin’ John for Good Luck from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Italian Vegetable Soup from The Foodie Army Wife
- Chicken stuffed with Mozzarella and Prosciutto from Family Foodie
- Black-Eye Pea and Greens Casserole and Wine Pairings from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Desserts & Drinks
- Candied Bacon Bourbon Bloody Mary from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Peanut & Pretzel Bark from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Cherry Almond Blondies from Mess Makes Food
- Apricot Fizz from Magnolia Days
- Celebration Mimosas from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Dark Chocolate Cake Doughnuts from What Smells So Good?
- Gluten Free Cronuts from No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Spiced Cranberry Apple Crisp from Neighborfood
- Blood Orange Mimosas from Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.