Are you getting ready for Thanksgiving? I am enjoying the day off, and prepping for the big day! I’m going to be cutting veggies, making dips, pumpkin pie, bread crumbs, cleaning the house and kitchen. I actually like days like this. It’s not frantic, it’s kind of move at your own pace and just do what you can. I just hope I don’t forget something at the store so I don’t have to run out because I plan on staying in my pajama pants! Since I am relaxing today, making the house cozy and warm, I thought I would share with you a soup that is perfect for these kind of days.
This is my Creamy Butternut Squash Soup. It’s sweet, a tad spicy, but not much and oh so creamy and rich. I am LOVING it! I made this soup especially for me. No one in my house will eat butternut squash, so all those recipes with squash that you see me post, is all me!! I don’t get how you can’t like butternut squash? Mu Husband wouldn’t even try it, he is crazy!! Now that I think of it, he really doesn’t like any orange fruit or vegetables,except for carrots. Hmmmmm
The soup is very simple to make! You need about 30 minutes total time and your soup is done. It’s actually perfect for making a big batch of it and having for lunches throughout the week or pairing it with a salad or sandwich or best yet, serving it as a pre-dinner appetizer. The soup is the perfect Fall dish. To make it I sautéed onions,half a jalapeno and sage in butter, added the butternut squash and vegetable stock and cooked it for about 20 minutes until the squash was for tender. Poured in the coconut milk and cinnamon and bam your soup is done. How quick is that? The coconut milk is what gives it a creamy texture. If you’re not vegan, you could use half and half. Oh and to make this even quicker, I used Trader Joe’s cut up butternut squash. I love that I didn’t have to prep my squash for the soup!
A thick, rich, creamy soup made with sweet butternut squash and spicy jalapeno with just a hint of cinnamon.
- 1 tbsp. butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup onion, sliced
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded, sliced
- 2 sage leafs, diced
- 2 lbs. (6 3/4 cups) butternut squash, peeled, cut up into chunks
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup coconut milk from carton (Do not use canned)
- In a large pot, over medium heat, add butter, onion, jalapeno and sage; cook for about 8 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add butternut squash and broth; cook for 20 - 25 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
- With a hand immersion blender,process the squash until smooth. (If you do not have a hand immersion blender, with a slotted spoon take the squash out and process in a blender until smooth. Add squash back into pot.) Stir in cinnamon and coconut milk and cook for another 5 minutes for the flavors to combine and soup thickens.
- Serve in a bowl and top with goat cheese, maple bacon, pumpkin seeds or even a dash more cinnamon. Omit the cheese and bacon toppings to keep it vegan.
Calories per cup: 89.7, Fat: 2, Sodium: 342, Carbs: 16, Fiber: 3, Sugar: 3, Protein: 1.4:
I topped my soup with goat cheese, pumpkin seeds and a slice of maple bacon that I had left over. Oh my gosh it tasted amazing together. The maple glazed bacon is a perfect pairing with this soup. Oh and get this, without the toppings the soup is only 89 calories a cup!! You have to love that for a cream based soup, No one would even notice there wasn’t actual cream in it. Oh and you don’t taste the coconut.
Well time for me to get going! Need to get my rest for my big day of cleaning and dancing! Yup, cranking up the music and dancing with the mop!
Have a wonderful day!
P.S. The winner of the GO Veggie gift pack is: drum roll please…
Comment: I also like both Facebook pages and also subscribe to your emails as well. Thank you so much!