Hi Everyone and Happy Sunday to you!
Today I am extremely thankful because I have the week off! Woohoo!! That means lots of baking and cooking for me!! Today’s mission for #SundaySupper is to make something to bring to the table and to share with you something that we are thankful for. For me, I have a lot to be thankful for. I’m a pretty simple person when it comes to being thankful. So here is a little list of what I am thankful for: #1 My Husband! I am Thankful that he puts up with my non-sense about food, weight and my crazy ideas. Sometimes I wonder how he puts up with me. he he #2. Little Jenny; she has brought pure joy to my life and even though she isn’t my daughter, she is like one to me and I don’t know how my life would be without her. #3 My Mom, I love her to death and even though she lives on the East Coast, I am thankful that we are still close and that I can talk to her about anything and she doesn’t judge me. #4 My Sisters, I don’t see them nearly enough and every year I say that has to change and it really does. I don’t have a very large family, but I need to stay connected and get more involved then I am. It’s just hard because everyone lives in different states. #5 My dogs, yes my dogs! They bring me excitement, maybe a little too much, they bring me joy and they also bring me comfort and keep me on my toes. Trust me, they keep me busy, especially when I am trying to take photos of my food and my boy is always trying to steal it! Ugh!! #6 My Friends, I am truly thankful for having my friends in my life! The girls are the ones I can tell my secrets too, gossip with and they get me, or at least they act like they do. lol #7 YOU!!!! Yes you!!! If it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t be here writing this. It is you why I love to blog, create recipes. All your kind words, comments, advice, encouragement an understanding. I am here everyday because of you and I couldn’t thank you enough!!
Oh boy, oh boy!! Time to skip the mushy stuff and get to the sweet stuff! Today’s recipe is one of my all time favorites!!! This my Honey and Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes. Oh my gawd!!! It is sooooooooo good! Sweet, sweet, sweet and savory! These sweet potatoes have it all. When you bite into it, it’s like candy! You have a soft roasted sweet potato, that is caramelized in a honey and cinnamon glaze and roasted with thinly sliced onions. Then when it’s all cooked you toss in a handful of cranberries and top with melted butter and cinnamon mixture. I told you this is a treat!!
I made this last week for dinner and my Husband wouldn’t touch it because its sweet potatoes. So you know who had to eat the whole batch you see here, yup, you got it, me! Not one onion, cranberry or potato was left. I ate it all and I’m proud.
I nibbled on this dish after work, I stuck it in a burrito shell, topped it on a salad and I never looked back. My favorite way to eat it was cold, straight from the fridge, picking it with your fingers. This was my afternoon snack, and a darn good one. It will most definitely satisfy your sweet tooth. Leftovers of sweet potatoes is a good thing and if you make this, make an extra-large batch, it’s well worth it in leftovers.
This dish would be perfect for serving for Thanksgiving, Christmas or anytime of the year. It’s dairy free, gluten-free and darn good. You could also make it vegan, by subbing the honey for maple syrup. Ohhhh, I bet that would be good too!! I think I am doing that next, But to boot the melted butter and cinnamon on top makes all the better, so be sure you do that!!
Sweet and savory roasted sweet potatoes tossed in a honey and cinnamon glaze and then topped with melted butter and cinnamon
- 4 (813 grams) large sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced into 1/4" chunks
- 1 (212 grams)large onion, sliced about 1/4" thick
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cub dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp. butter or margarine (I used Earth Balance)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, add potatoes and onions; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together, olive oil, honey and cinnamon. Pour over potato and onion mixture. Mix together well, I used my hands.
- Spread potato mixture onto prepared on baking sheet and season with salt and pepper and you want you can also give a small sprinkle of cinnamon; place in oven for 30 minutes. Half way through flip the potatoes and cook until fork tender.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add 1 tablespoon of butter and cinnamon, place in microwave for 15 seconds until melted.
- Pour potatoes in a bowl and stir in cranberries and top with melted butter mixture. Serve immediately.
Calories per 3/4 cups: 141, Fat: 4.2, Sodium: 44, Potassium: 457, Carbs: 24, Fiber: 3.4, Sugar: 10, Protein: 2
My CSA box gave me a bunch of sweet potatoes, but they were tiny and I mean tiny, so in the nutrition stats I gave you the weight of the potatoes. My guess is four average size sweet potatoes will be the same. My theory is the more the merrier if you ask me! So if you have more potatoes the better.
I am really excited about this recipe today and it’s sure to please any sweet potato lover! Be sure to check out what holiday recipes the gang from #SundaySupper are sharing with you today.
Have a great Sunday!
FIRST COURSE / APPETIZERS
- Harvest Soup from Bea of The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Horseradish Cranberry & Herbed Cheese Bites from Jen of Juanita’s Cocina
- Savory Rosemary Baklava with Brie from Christie of A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
SAVORY BREADS + STUFFING
- Cloverleaf Rolls from Micha of Cookin’ Mimi
- Freeze and Bake Buttermilk Biscuits from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Picnic Roll from Linda of The Urban Mrs
- Raspberry and Brie Crescent Rolls from Karen of In The Kitchen With KP
- Cornbread Stuffing with Chorizo and Craisins from Isabel at Family Foodie
- Easy Gluten-Free Corn “Bread” Stuffing from Laura at Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Eggless Herb and Garlic Fresh Pasta from Sarah at What Smells So Good?
- Honey Orange Turkey Breast from Cindy at Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brussels Sprout Latkes from Susan atThe Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cheesey Scalloped Potatoes from Shaina at Take A Bite Out Of Boca
- Cornucopia Sweet Potato Barley Salad from Wendy at The Weekend Gourmet
- Creamy Scalloped Corn from Alaiyo at Pescetarian Journal
- Fried Smashed Potatoes from Renee at Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Grandpa’s Simple Stuffing from Bobbi at Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Green Beans with Pecans and Cranberries from Tara at Noshing With The Nolands
- Honey and Cinnamon Glazed Sweet Potatoes from Jennifer at Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Italian American Turkey Dressing from Anne at Webicurean
- Loaded Mashed Potato Bake from Lori at Foxes Love Lemons
- Maple Sweet Potatoes with Browned Butter Pecan Topping from Brianne at Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Mushroom and Barley Casserole with Bacon, Gruyere and Spinach from Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries and Blue Cheese from Sarah at Curious Cuisiniere
DESSERTS + SWEET BREADS
- Almond Brioche Sticky Buns from Alice at Hip Foodie Mom
- Baked Caramel Apple Cider Donuts from Nicole at Daily Dish Recipes
- Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie from Cheryl at Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Blue Ribbon Meyer Lemon Mascarpone Cheesecake from Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
- Bourbon Pecan Pie from Julie at The Texan New Yorker
- Chocolate Moussecake from Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Rolls from Conni at The Foodie Army Wife
- Gingered Butternut Squash Tart from Renee of Magnolia Days
- Hanukkah Lemon Star Cookies from Shannon at Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Manischewitz, Cranberry Double Holiday Donuts from Kim at Ninja Baking
- Mini Maple Sweet Potato Tarts from Holly at Mess Makes Food
- Mini Pumpkin Pies from Nichole at Casa de Crews
- Mom’s Custard Pie from Courtney at Neighborfood
- No Bake Pumpkin Spiced Cheesecake from Tammi of Momma’s Meals
- Plum and Blackberry Crumble from Katy at Happy Baking Days
- Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake from Heather at girlichef
- Salted Butterscotch Pudding from Jane at Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Salted Caramel Apple Pie from Laura at Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Pecan Gingersnap Pie from Paula at Vintage Kitchen Notes
All American Wine Pairing Guide for Being Thankful #SundaySupper from Martin at ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world.
Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.