I’m a pretty basic person when it comes to oatmeal. Yes I love all the fancy oatmeal, and even plain oatmeal, but one of my favorite combos of oatmeal is apples and cinnamon. Oh man! It’s really my go to oatmeal! I took my traditional oatmeal and zipped it up and baked it. Holy fazolli! This is good!! No, this is better than good, it is magnificent!! Kind of a funny word to describe food, but hot dam it’s so good!
I made this oatmeal on Monday night, so I could take it to work and have it throughout the week. I also shared it with my co-workers and they said dam Jen, this is good! Of course it’s good, its apples and cinnamon and you really can’t go wrong with that combo!!
This dish is also super easy to make. I chopped up my apples, tossed it in a bowl with oats, raisins, pecans and cinnamon. I mixed it up with an egg, almond milk, vanilla and to sweetened it up I used maple syrup. I love maple syrup, love it! It’s the perfect sweetener for this dish. I swear I go through so much maple syrup, but it’s natural, delicious and it really gives a dish a nice warm feeling. I through this all together and baked it for 30 minutes. It turned out perfect!! Even though I was full from dinner, I had to have a little serving of it. So worth it!!
I told you about my dish, but I didn’t describe it. It’s sweet, chunky, filling and a little chewy from the raisins and you get a nice crunch from the pecans. The pecans add a nice surprise to the oatmeal. I love the nutty flavor added to the oats. Plus I added a drizzle of maple syrup over the top to let it soak into the oats and keep the dish nice and moist. This dish is a true Fall dish, that not only makes the kitchen smell wonderful while baking, but it also warms the belly and makes you feel good! I love feel good meals and this is one that tops it! Not only does it taste yummy, it is good the next few days afterwards. This is a great dish to make ahead and have for the week. I just nuked it in the microwave for a minute and it was perfect!! My Friend had hers with almond milk. I like mine more firm!!
- Serves: 6 servings
- Serving size: About 1 cup
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 cup apples, diced small
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. pecans, chopped small or nut of choice
- 1½ cups almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup apple butter or apple sauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. stevia
- Optional: A drizzle of maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a bowl add oats, raisins, apples, baking soda, cinnamon and pecans. Mix together.
- In a separate bowl, add almond milk, egg, apple butter, vanilla extract, maple syrup and stevia. Whisk together until combined.
- Pour milk mixture over oat mixture and mix until combined. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes until lightly brown on top and oatmeal is set. You can drizzle some more maple syrup over the top. It makes it so moist the next day.
I really love dishes like this and I don’t make them nearly enough. I have been craving oatmeal lately and with the bushel of apples I bought, I thought this would be perfect to make. This dish is so perfect for a chilly morning and an awesome healthy breakfast to serve the kids before school. This will keep them going through school and keep them filled until lunch! Just as a little note you could also freeze the oatmeal and pop in the microwave to heat up. Add a pinch of water to make it super moist, but that is not necessary.
Well my Friends, time to finish laundry. I swear all I do is clean and do laundry. Sigh… All I want for Christmas is a maid or butler. lol A girl can dream can’t she?
Have a great day!