One of my all time favorite flavors is vanilla! I swear I could drink it, if the extract actually tasted good! I love the smell of vanilla too! I used to always buy Victoria Secrets Vanilla Lace lotion, mmmm, that smelled good. However, what I noticed is when I wore it, I was craving chocolate chip cookies all of the time. Crazy isn’t it? I guess it’s because I smelled vanilla all day. So with my love of vanilla bean, today I made a Vanilla Bean Quick Bread. This recipe by far exceeded my expectations.
This bread tastes like vanilla cake to me. It’s chock full of vanilla flavor. To vanilla it up, I used vanilla extract, vanilla bean and Wallaby Vanilla Kefir. The flavor of vanilla shines through this bread!!! If you’re a vanilla fan, this is the bread for you!
The bread turned out moist and is rich with vanilla flavor. It’s super easy to make too! I used one bowl to make it. I really try to cut corners when it comes to excess dishes. I made my wet mixture with egg whites, sugar, all my vanilla ingredients, gave it a mix then topped with my flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Give is stir and it all came together perfectly. I baked my mini loaves for 25 minutes and it turned out perfect!!
If you do not have vanilla keifer, don’t worry, my guess is vanilla yogurt will work wonderful in its place. Just replace the kefir with equal amounts of vanilla yogurt. I would imagine the taste will be the same and you will still have a moist delicious bread!
A sweet, moist, rich quick bread with the flavor of vanilla bean. Tastes like vanilla cake.
- 1 cup Vanilla Kefir or vanilla yogurt
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil or Canola Oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 11/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease 1 large loaf pan or 2 mini loaf pans with cooking spray; set a side.
- In a medium bowl, mix vanilla kefir, coconut oil, sugar, egg whites, vanilla extract and vanilla bean; mix until until blended.
- In the same bowl as yogurt mixture, add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly mix the batter together until incorporated,do not to over mix.
- Spoon batter into a greased 9- x 5-inch loaf pan or 2 mini loafs.
- Bake for 45 - 50 for 1 large loaf or 25 - 30 minutes for 2 mini loafs, or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.
Calories per slice: 148, Fat: 3.2, Cholesterol: 1.5, Sodium: 318, Carbs: 27, Fiber: 2.4, Sugar: 12.3, Protein: 3.1
I didn’t want to do it, due to calories, but I would imagine this bread would be friggen amazing with a vanilla frosting or vanilla flavored glaze over the top. But by its self this bread is amazing!!! This would be perfect to go with your morning coffee or as an evening dessert with a dollop of ice cream or yogurt!!
Time to start cooking some more. I”m falling behind on my recipes and I need to get cracking at them, since this coming weekend I will be traveling again. This time I am heading to Baton Rouge for a foodie filled weekend. It will be a short trip, but a fun and long one. I will fill you in on my trip when I get home!
Have a great day!