After all of the sweet treats I have had this past week, it’s time to for some savoriness (Is that a word?)! I was in need of a good afternoon dip that I needed to accompany my carrots and pita chips. So I scoped out my refrigerator and I saw some feta cheese and fresh dill that needed to be used. I ran to my pantry and grabbed a can of white kidney beans and some garlic, blended all of these babies together and I got this!
This is an amazing hummus and let me tell you it does give you garlic breath. But the good thing is, is that it helps to keep the vampires away. If you’re not a huge fan of garlic, then I recommend only using one clove. I used 2 1/2 cloves in this recipe. I didn’t realize how much garlic I was using, but I also didn’t mind, after all it’s a garlic dip!
I decided to use white kidney bean for two reasons, one I didn’t have chickpeas and two I wanted to keep with the whiter color. But either one you decide to use will work great! The nutritional information won’t change much since they are both healthy for you and loaded with fiber and protein. It really does make for a great snack!!!
But this hummus isn’t only for snacking, it’s great on a wrap or sandwich. I made myself a veggie wrap and smeared this wonderful hummus all over it. It made for great flavor and it’s a superb compliment to any sandwich, especially a roast beef one! Yum! Wow, I haven’t roast beef in a long, long time. I think I need to get some next time I’m at the store. Funny when your writing and then all these ideas come to mind.
- 1 15oz can White Kidney Beans, drained rinsed (reserve some of the juice from the can)
- 2½ cloves garlic
- 2½ oz feta cheese, fat free
- 2½ tbsp. dill springs
- 1½ tsp. lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a food processor add beans, garlic and lemon juice. Process until creamy smooth. You may add some reserved liquid to help process it. Add 2 tbsp. dill springs and 2 oz of feta cheese. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add hummus to a bowl and top with remaining feta cheese and ½ tbsp. of dill.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Now that I am looking at this, I happen to have about a 1/4 cup of my dip left, I think I need to grab my bag of carrots and do some munching. I’m getting hungry!!
Have a wonderful day!