I’m going to be up front and honest with you. I thought today’s recipe was going to be a flop. I made a healthy, good for you quick bread that went kind of flat. The bread felt kind of heavy too! I thought, oh man, I made dense bread that going to taste like crap. But, you never know right? So I cut it up, took my pictures and then before I popped it in the freezer, I took a bite, then another and oh my gosh, I think this is by far one of the best zucchini breads I have ever had!! I kid you not!
The taste of the cinnamon and nutmeg in it, brought it all together! The bread is so moist it practically melts in your mouth. It just goes to show you should never judge a book by its cover!! I know after this bread, I will never do that again!! I think the reason it fell kind of flat is because I only added 1 1/2 cups of flour instead of two. I did that on purpose because I didn’t add any fat to the bread, except for the almonds and I didn’t want a dry bread and this is by far not a dry bread at all!!
Since I didn’t add any fat I made the bread with plain 0% fat Greek yogurt and applesauce. Also for the shredded zucchini, I didn’t ring out all the water from it because I ran out of paper towels, so the zucchini was a tad wet. All that together, added moisture. So if you decide to make this bread, don’t worry if it has a flat top. Just be sure to smooth out the batter when you pour it into your baking pans.
A sweet, moist, healthy quick bread made with yogurt, zucchini and almonds.
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt Plain 0% fat
- 1/2 cup apple sauce, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar or 1 cup NuNaturals Presweet Tagatose
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup zucchini, grated, squeezed, drained ( medium zucchini)
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat White Flour
- 1/2 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease 1 large loaf pan or 3 mini loaf pans with cooking spray; set a side.
- In a medium bowl, add yogurt, applesauce, sugar, egg whites, and vanilla extract; mix until until blended.
- Fold in zucchini
- In a separate bowl add flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; Mix together.
- Pour flour mixture over zucchini mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in almonds
- Spoon batter into a greased 9- x 5-inch loaf pan or 3 mini loafs. Use the back of the spoon to smooth batter out.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour for 1 large loaf or 30 – 35 minutes for 3 mini loafs, or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.
Calories per slice using NuNaturals Presweet Tagatose: 114, Fat: 2, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 152, Potassium: 93.9 Carbs: 26.7, Fiber: 1.8, Sugar: 1.1, Protein: 5
Calories per slice using sugar: 133.3, Fat: 2, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 152, Potassium: 93.9, Carbs: 23.9, Fiber: 1.8, Sugar: 11.1, Protein: 5
This bread freezes well and will be perfect for my Husband to take to lunches this week. Just let it defrost at room temperature. This bread would also be great to have for breakfast or a brunch. I honestly can’t get over how wonderful it is. I am absolutely amazed!!!
Plan on lots of zucchini recipes this season. I got a letter from my CSA and they said that their Zucchini crops have gone crazy wild with a bunch of different varieties of zucchini. I can’t wait, however my Husband is not a fan of zucchini. The only way I can get him to eat it is in baked goods, so expect a lot of baking recipes with this healthy, good for you vegetable.
Have a super wonderful day!