Let me tell you I did my first training workout for my virtual 5k on Monday and I swear my legs are going to fall off. I looked at the workout and thought, no problem, this won’t be hard, I was wrong, it was hard! But hard work pays off right? That is what I have to keep telling myself. At least with the nice weather, I was able to do my workout outside and you know what else I did outside? I made the most delicious Shish Kabob’s.
I have an abundance of Mandarin Oranges and I wasn’t sure what else I could do with them, except eat them! I have been on a major citrus kick and the little cuties are just so sweet and juicy that I can’t resist them. So what do I do with them? I did a Google search and I saw that Sunkist has a bunch of recipes to use citrus with. I saw this recipe on there website and I thought I would give it a try.
Good choice on my part! The chicken is super moist and the flavors of the mandarin orange give the chicken a little sweetness, which goes perfect with the onions and peppers. Kind of a tropical feel to my dish. To stick with my tropical theme, I served my chicken with brown rice and a few more oranges. I only have about 20 more to use up.
I took my basic barbecue sauce ,which was Trader Joe’s and added the juice of two mandarin oranges to it and I also skewed a few of these little guys between my veggies and chicken. I’m not sure how I feel about barbecue oranges, but they are ok. But the barbecue sauce was super delish! A little spicy and a little sweet. I love that you can take a basic barbecue sauce and kick it up a notch with some orange flavor. It’s a great idea and I plan on trying it next time on shrimp! Yum!
- Serves: 4 skweres
- Serving size: 1 skewer
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce (I used Trader Joe's, but your favorite will work)
- ¼ cup mandarin orange juice (juice of two oranges)
- 1 lbs. chicken, skinless, boneless, cut into chunks
- 1 sweet bell pepper, seeded, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled, cut into chunks
- 2 mandarine oranges, peeled, cut into segments
- 4 metal skewers
- In a small bowl, add barbecue sauce and mandarin orange juice, mix together; set a side.
- Preheat grill over medium heat.
- Skew together chicken, vegetables and mandarin orange, rotating between vegetables, oranges and chicken. Do the same until no more chicken or vegetables remain.
- Place skewers on grill, and brush with barbecue sauce. Cook chicken for about 5 minutes and brush with more barbecue sauce, cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Serve with rice or a nice salad.
Well my Friends, I am running late on blog posts and meals, so I need to get my butt in gear and start cooking and writing. Normally I catch up on the weekend, but not this weekend, I am so behind on everything. I just hate that!! But that means I stay busy, and I won’t worry about being board!
Have a great day!