I told you I’d be back with another peppermint recipe!! I am officially addicted to peppermint. It’s horrible!! No it’s not, who am I fooling? I love peppermint!! And I love peppermint with chocolate even more!!!
This bread is amazing!! It’s sweet, chocolaty and has little surprises of mint chocolate chips in it!! It’s like eating a big chocolate brownie, just a tad healthier!! During baking, the smell of my house was like Christmas, it smelled like a big mug of hot chocolate with a slight aroma of candy canes. Oh man, I couldn’t wait for the bread to be done. My Husbands friend came over and I told him if he waited 10 minutes, I’d give him some bread. He did, I gave it to him while it was still hot and soft. He smelled it and was like OMG! He said I shouldn’t eat this. I told him go ahead. It’s not to bad for you. I don’t like to tell people something is healthy, otherwise they won’t want to eat it! Strange I know!
About 15 minutes after my Husbands friend left our house, my Husband and I were walking to the store and my Hubby got a text message from his friend. His friend said “tell Jen the bread is excellent ” Yah!!! I told my Husband he just left our house, the bread was still hot! lol, I guess he couldn’t wait! This bread is really delicious. I can see heating it up in the microwave and putting a dollop of vanilla ice cream on it and maybe some peppermint whip cream. This bread would make such a great dessert!!
My Husband took the bread to work, and I asked him what he thought, and he loved the chocolate chips in it. He said they were little bites of pudding. I was a little unsure if the bread would be chewy, but he said it wasn’t. He said he loved it. I asked if he shared him mini loaf, he said nope! I told him I have one more mini loaf left and I was going to take it to work, he said, NO! It’s mine! I guess he really did like it. One thing about my Husband is he is brutally honest about something that he does’t like and I always share his opinion with you, so when I say he liked it, he really did like it!!
A rich, chocolaty, peppermint flavored quick bread filled with mint chocolate chips.
- 1 cup greek yogurt, non-fat, plain
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs or egg substitute
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup milk, non-fat
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate and mint chocolate chips (Nestle)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a medium bowl, mix yogurt,sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, peppermint extract and milk; until blended.
- In a separate bowl add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda sand salt. Mix together.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and slowly incorporate the yogurt mixture, be careful not to over mix.
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Spoon batter into a greased and floured 9- x 5-inch loaf pan or 3 mini loafs.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour for 1 large loaf or 30 – 35 minutes for 3 mini loafs, or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, shielding with aluminum foil after 50 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.
Calorie per slice: 102.1, Fat: 2.2, Cholesterol: .01, Sodium: 239, Potassium: 37.7, Crabs: 18.8, Fiber: 2.1, Sugar: 10.1, Protein: 3.7
Well that’s it for me to go! It’s getting late and I still have to pack lunch! I hate packing lunch, normally it’s a salad and I that means cutting veggies!! Maybe I should have a PBandJ sandwich? I haven’t had one of those in a while.
Have a great day!