Boy am I having a lazy day! Today when I got home from work, I started to feel ill. My heart started to race, I started to sweat and I felt dizzy. I never feel that way! So what does one do when that happens? After sitting for a few minutes, I made a peppermint mocha frappe. Because in my head, peppermint soothes an upset stomach! Plus I thought maybe I needed carbs, so I filled up on Puffins Cereal. Weird combo huh? I felt better about 45 minutes later, but needless to say I feel tired now. So I didn’t exercise and I didn’t do anything, just sat here. But I did manage to get up to make a fabulous, tasty salad for dinner.
This recipe is so easy! I had some butternut squash I bought pre-peeled from Trader Joe’s that I had to use up. I decided to roast them as I prepared the rest of the salad. I just LOVE my butternut squash!! It’s so tasty!! I love to batch cook it, so I can munch on it as a snack during the week! It’s healthier then eating Puffins Cereal! I got this recipe from Cooking Light Magazine. Funny I get all these magazines and think oh, I have to make that and I must make that, oh and what about that, but then you know what happens? I don’t make it!! So today, I didn’t feel like experimenting or taking time to think, so I finally made a recipe from one of my hundreds of magazines!! I have to say I am please, but how can I not be? After all it is one combo I love, butternut squash and black beans. For some reason I think they go really well together!
My Husband always laughs at me when I photograph my dinners and I have my camera practically on top of my food. He tells me I don’t need to be so close. But I like close-ups! I want you Guys to be able to see all the ingredients. I know, I may have gotten a little to close. What can I say I like close-ups of food, just not close-ups of me! 🙂
The dressing for this salad is sweet and spicy. It’s made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard, honey and Adobo sauce. I love Adobo Sauce! I use it all the time to make yogurt dips, yet I never use the pepper in the can. Honestly, I think it is a tad bit to hot, even for me! I wonder if they just sell the sauce? If they don’t, they should.
The black beans and butternut squash are sitting on a bed of arugula, which adds a pinch of peppery flavor. Have you ever had arugula? It’s one of my newest finds. I discovered it this summer and I have loved it ever since. I also topped the salad with a crumble of goat cheese. This salad would also be easy to make in advance too!! Which is a bonus!! I can do my batch cooking of squash, make a batch of the dressing to use with other salads for the week and then throw this salad together in a matter of minutes. If your feeling really lazy, a balsamic vinaigrette would also be great on this salad.
- 2¼ cups butternut squash, peeled, cubed and cut into bite size pieces
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Cooking spray
- ½ tsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 oz crumbled goat cheese
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tbsp. honey
- ½ tsp. adobo sauce (Adobo Chili Peppers in a can)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place butternut squash on prepared baking sheet, spray squash with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix, to make sure everything is coated. Bake in oven for 15 minutes, flip and bake for another 5-10 minutes until squash is fork tender.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl add ½ tbsp. olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard, honey and adobo sauce. Whisk together until combined; set a side.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ½ teaspoon olive oil to pan. Add garlic; sauté for 1 minute. Add roasted squash, black pepper and beans; cook 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1½ tablespoons adobo dressing; toss to coat.
- Combine remaining dressing with arugula; toss to coat. Divide arugula mixture evenly among 2 plates; top with bean mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
Well everyone, I’m going to take off. I’m just not feeling right and I think I need to go to bed early. Gosh, I hope I’m not getting sick!!
Have a great day!!