No need to adjust your screen, yes I am serving you bread with a green tone.
Green bread! Weird, I know, but don’t let the color fool you, this is the most moist delicious bread I have created in a long time!! Whats in it to make it turn green? Avocado and Zucchini! I wanted bread that I could use up my zucchini and I wanted bread that contained healthy fats, not butter or oil, so in went the avocado. Basically I call this bread, everything but the kitchen sink bread!
My Husband who doesn’t like avocado or zucchini was terrified to try it. I told him to try it and he said later. I went to take my shower and I came back and half the loaf was gone. I asked did you touch my bread? He he Yes he said, I had a few pieces. He said it was really good and the flavor surprised him. He said he liked that the blueberries popped in his mouth. He said he never had such plump blueberries before. I told him that’s because it’s Trader Joe’s blueberries. He just shook his head.
This recipe makes one big loaf or two fat mini loaves. I actually had a pinch of batter left over, I couldn’t fill my bread pans any higher. This recipe is made with fresh blueberries, one ripe banana, one avocado and a little bit of brown sugar. I tried to make it as healthy as I could. I’m pretty happy with the nutritional stats of the bread. 12 FAT slices are only 107 calories. Yes I’ll take two pieces please, and that I did.
The flavor of this bread is sweet, moist and you don’t taste the avocado at all! You do get a slight taste of banana and honestly I barely tasted the zucchini. It kind of got lost in the bread. The blueberries are amazing. They do pop in your mouth and they stain your hands. After making the bread my fingers were blue. I really like this bread and I love the idea of using avocado in it! I will be doing that more often when making quick breads. if you never tried avocado in bread, you must try it!!
A moist healthy bread with a slight taste of banana and fresh blueberries.
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1 avocado, mashed (125 grams)
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded and patted dry
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. stevia or 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spray 1 8x4x2 loaf pan or 2 mini loaf pans with cooking spray
- In a large bowl combine flours, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the bowl, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine: Egg whites, Banana, avocado, zucchini, brown sugar, stevia and vanilla extract.
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture, stir until blended together.
- Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Pour the batter into greased baking pans and bake for 45 to 50 minutes for large loaf, 30 - 35 min for mini loafs or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven.
- After they have cooled for 5 or 10 minutes the loaves can be removed from the pan to cool. Once they are cool they can be individually wrapped and frozen.
Calories per slice: 107.2, Fat: 1.9, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 17, Potassium: 171.7, Carbs: 21.4, Fiber: 2.4, Sugar: 6.9, Protein: 2.9
Time to go fold laundry! Do I have any volunteers to help me? Out of all the household tasks that is one of my least favorites, next to doing dishes.
Have a Happy Monday!!!