Yah it’s Friday!!! As a special treat I made the most delectable quick bread for you! It’s rich, chocolaty, filled with fresh cherries and tastes like your biting into a brownie. It’s simply delish!!!
I made my normal 3 mini loafs so Hubby can take them to work and I asked him what he thought about the bread and he said ohhh, that was good! Yah! Another success! Sometimes I’m bias of my own recipes, because I know of all the thought and care I put into it, that I think they are automatically tasty. Plus I cut back on sugar and now I don’t notice things when there not sweet enough for the average person. My Husband is one who likes it sweet! I felt this bread had the perfect balance of sweetness, especially with the cherries.
I will tell you a secret, this past week, I made a Peanut Butter and Jelly Bread. I thought this is going to be the best thing ever. I had all these grand ideas of creating it and eating it. Well guess what? It turned out awful! Ugh! What a waste of jam and peanut butter! When it came out of the oven it tasted good, but a few hours later, it was just horrible. I didn’t realize how bad it was until my Husband took it to work and he said the bread was terrible. I felt sad, but I knew it tasted like crap! Funny how I’m sensitive to things like that, when I knew it didn’t taste good. Crazy!
So are you getting sick of me posting cherry treats? Sorry, this is the last cherry recipe I have in my recipe index, but I figured since it’s cherry season, I felt the need to share it with you. However if you make this bread, you may not want to share it!! I have to show you how moist it is.
I made this bread using Chobani Greek Yogurt, unsweetened coconut milk and fresh cherries. This bread does not contain any oil or butter. I can’t believe how moist it is without oil! I bet you could heat this bread up in the microwave and top with some vanilla ice cream or whip cream and call it dessert! I should have done that!
The calories came out pretty low, coming in at 86 calories a slice. I figured 15 slices to a large loaf or 5 slices per mini loaf. The slices are pretty thick! This bread also contains 1 gram of fat and only 16 carbs. I am pretty happy with the stats of the bread! Taking a bite of it tastes like I’m having a treat!! Since I made three mini loafs I froze two of the loaves and kept one out for nibbling on. I know I mentioned it before but freezing bread is one of the best things ever! Just take it out the night before or in the morning. It defrosts pretty quickly.
A sweet moist chocolate bread made with greek yogurt, fresh cherries and coconut.
- 1 Cup Greek Non Fat Plain Yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or regular sugar
- 2 eggs or egg substitute
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
- 1 Cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Cup cherries, pitted,chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut, shredded, reduced fat
- 1 Tbsp. coconut, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a medium bowl, mix yogurt, coconut milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla and coconut extract until blended.
- In a separate bowl add flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix together.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and slowly incorporate the yogurt mixture, becareful not to over mix.
- Fold in cherries and 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- Spoon batter into a greased 9- x 5-inch loaf pan or 3 mini loafs.
- Sprinkle with 1 tbsp shredded coconut topping
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour for 1 large loaf or 30 – 35 minutes for 3 mini loafs, or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, shielding with aluminum foil after 50 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.
Calories per slice: 86.8, Fat: 1, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 205, Potassium: 52.6, Carbs: 16.5, Fiber: 2.5, Sugar: 4.4, Protein: 3.9
I was bad and skipped out on exercise yesterday, so I need to do something today, even though it’s getting late, so I’m going to shuffle off. Oh and my Husband just made a pound of bacon and it smells so darn good that I need to get out of the house fast! So off for a brisk walk I go.
Have a wonderful weekend!!!