Yah it’s Friday!! I am so happy for the weekend to be here. No immediate plans, just happy I can sleep in a bit! For your weekend breakfast I have a wonderful stuffed strawberry french toast recipe just for you!
I got this idea from Food Networks Dinners, Drive In’s and Dives a few months ago and it was sitting in the back of my mind forever! I am glad I finally made it!! This was quick, simple and the flavors are amazing! I love the combination of cream cheese and strawberries together. Mmmmm, creamy, cheesy, sweet, yum, yums!
They key to keeping the calorie count low on french toast is the bread. I used Alvarado Street Bakery Bread that I picked up from Trader Joe’s. It’s wheat bread with flax seed and only comes in at 50 calories a slice. So if you use a different bread just be sure to knock off a 100 calories of my bread and add yours in. I really like the bread because it’s soft in the middle and the crust is kind of crunchy.
I figured having french toast would be a different change-up from my usual pancakes. I’m so glad I made it! You could also use other fruit you like such as thin sliced apples and pears or other berries. Me, I have a love for strawberries. Like a mentioned last week, you’re going to see a lot of strawberry type recipes. Why I haven’t gotten sick of strawberries, I’ll never know?
- 2 sliced wheat bread
- 5 strawberries, sliced
- ½ oz cream cheese, fat free
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbs. milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- In a shallow bowl, add egg white, milk and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Set a side.
- On one slice of bread add your cream cheese and top with strawberries. Add other slice of bread to the top.
- Carefully dip your sandwich into the egg white mixture, than carefully turn the sandwich over to cover the other side with the egg white mixture.
- Place sandwich in a skillet and cook until bottom is lightly brown, than carefully flip the sandwich and cook until bottom is lightly brown.
- Cut in a diagonal, top with powdered sugar and maple syrup. Eat and Enjoy!
Well my friends, it’s my Thursday night and I have to pack up and ship out my packages for the Salad Spinners, so I am taking off. I hope you have a super fab weekend filled with lots of good eats and drinks! After all treat yourself, it’s Cinco de Mayo! I need an excuse to have a margarita! 🙂
See you tomorrow and I’ll be back with a completely new to me recipe, that I made just for the Holiday Recipe Club!