How are you today! I’m doing great! I have a wonderful recipe for you, it’s a different spin to traditional potato salad. The other day, I got some potatoes from the CSA and my Husband asked if could make him potato salad, you know the fatty kind, with a half a tub of full fat mayonnaise. Blah! I reluctantly agreed, but I made it strictly for him. Now I could make a low calorie regular potato salad for myself, but I had some sweet potatoes to use up because they were starting to bud. Don’t you hate when that happens? So I came up with this wonderful Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad.
I thought hmmm, I love sweet potato fries dipped in my Spicy Chipotle Aiolo Sauce, why not take that idea and make Potato Salad. Well, I did and it is wonderful. If you like sweet potatoes and spiciness, then you’ll like this salad.
I boiled my potatoes with Hubby’s White potatoes and you know what I found out? White Potatoes sink to the bottom of the pot, while sweet potatoes float. Weird huh? This made it easy for separating the white and the orange potatoes. My Husband would freak if he knew my orange tatters touched his precious white ones. I still do not understand why he doesn’t like sweet potatoes?
These potatoes are very creamy, so you have to be careful when your mixing it or it will become like mashed potatoes, which actually wouldn’t be too bad. The best description I can give this dish is creamy, light, fresh and has a kick! You can add more peppers to it to make even spicier. I’ll leave that to you! All I know is I love this dish and it will become a summer staple for me. It lasts for days in the fridge. I’m on day 3 of eating it. I made the portion size to serve three, but honestly it’s more like four. It’s very filling.
A creamy, sweet and spicy potato salad perfect for a cookout.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, diced medium size
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt, plain
- 1/4 Cup mayonnaise, reduced fat
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. cumin, ground
- 2 tsp. chipotle chiles in adobo
- In a medium to large pot, place your potatoes and bring to a boil, cook for about 15 minutes until potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes in a colander and set a side until cool enough to handle.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and add onions, mix until incorporated.
- In a small bowl add yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, cumin and adobo pepper
- Add yogurt mixture to potatoes and mix until combined. Place salad in the refrigerator until cooled and ready to eat.
Calories per serving: 159, Fat: 1.4, Sodium: 257, Potassium: 511, Carbs: 31.6, Fiber: 4.2, Sugar: 6.9, Protein: 5.9
I wanted to tell you I started a 3 to 5 day detox (your choice for how long), just to clean the system and get a fresh start for the Spring season. I spring clean my house why not my body?
This program is pretty easy, it can be for three days or for five days. I’m going for three right now. Here are the instructions. Oh I got this from the Lauren Kelly Nutritionist
- start each morning with hot water and 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon (must be on empty stomach to flush out toxins)
- no coffee , just green tea (aim for 3-5 cups)
- 1 gallon of water a day which you can add lemon, mint or ginger to
- no dairy (except plain greek yogurt) (she told me as much as I want)
- no bread/pasta/rice… only quiona or rolled/steel cut oats
- opt for 2-3 “juices*” a day if you want to juice, otherwise load up on fresh raw veggies. no more than 2-3 fruits each day * juices are only homemade with fresh veggies and fruit
- no sugar at all (besides the fruit)
- no carbonated beverages at all (obviously no soda but also no seltzer)
- if you want to do vegetarian, load up on raw or steamed beans (mix with raw veggies and lime juice)
- if you aren’t doing vegetarian, choose only lean white meats and fish and either steam, grill or bake (Herbs, garlic, lemon, lime (even fresh orange) are great to season)
- hard boiled eggs are great, only 1 whole egg per day, egg whites are unlimited
- All nuts are great. Make sure they are raw and unsalted. Also, no more than 14 nuts per serving, 2 servings a day. (she said I can sub one nut serving for olive oil)
- Lastly, make sure you get between 7-8 hours of sleep each night. Now, I know those who have kids, sometimes kids don’t get the memo. Try your best by going to bed early each night!
Well my first day is almost through and I could handle it, except for the coffee part. I asked if I could have one cup of coffee and she said yes. I really, really tried to skip the coffee, but by 2:00 in the afternoon my head was pounding!! I broke down and got a ice coffee from Starbucks. My headache went away. Goes to show I’m addicted to coffee. The other hard part I have, is drinking 16 cups of water. I’m currently at 11 and I know I won’t make 16, but I’m really trying. Oddly enough I haven’t peed that much today (sorry thats gross). My friend said I was probably dehydrated from all the coffee I drink and my organs are probably absorbing the water.
One thing I learned today is I need to drink more water! Now doing detoxes is something I never thought of doing, but I thought what the heck! Let’s see if I feel a change or if my scale changes at all. Do I feel better? No, I feel the same. I think it’s because I eat pretty healthy as it is. So this detox all in all hasn’t been hard for me, except for the coffee. Most of the food I make already, I can eat in this detox.
Will I do this tomorrow? I don’t know? It doesn’t hurt, and I’ll pretty much stick to this program as is. I don’t need to make to many adjustments. Just drink less coffee, drink more water and incorporate more veggies, less sugar and less processed foods. I really believe you can have everything in moderation. As they say, what it comes down to is calories in, calories out. A person can lose as much weight eating McDonalds as someone who eats vegetables all day if they consume the same amount of calories. Why do I eat healthy? There are a few reasons, health, appearance, and I feel better, more energy! I’ll stick to what I’m doing because I’m happy! I don’t really believe in diets, it’s a lifestyle change you need to make. I’ve tried diets and I never make it past the first day! I lost weight by changing how I live. So I challenge you to make a small change to better your health! It’s the little changes that count! It may not seem like much, but the smallest change can really make an impact in the long run. Are you with me on this?
Well enough about detoxes, diets and calories, I just thought I would give you that for food for thought!
Well, How I Met Your Mother is on and my favorite show Two Broke Girls is also on tonight, so I am signing off!
Have a great day!!
P.S. I told my Husband about the Chinese Chicken Salad blog, on how he ate salad for dinner and this is what he said. “You woman food bloggers are just trying to change us men, we don’t eat salad, we eat meat!” lol Next time I cook him steak, I’m going to stuff it with salad! ha ha