Did you it is National Picnic Month? Well to celebrate this special occasion #SundaySupper has teamed up with Gallo Family Vineyards to share with you our favorite picnic recipes. When I go on a picnic I am old fashion! I like hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill, with a side of potato salad and maybe some pretzels or potato chips. To me that is my kind of picnic. I’m not overly the fancy one when it comes to these kind of special occasions. I like quick and simple so I can enjoy my time with friends and family. So today I made a recipe that can be made the day before and it is the perfect, healthy summertime snack to have while you’re playing badminton, bocce ball or simply running around, it is my Blueberry Peach Snack Cake.
My Blueberry Peach Snack Cake is light, fluffy moist and chock full of peaches and blueberries. Not only is this cake great for picnics, but it also nice to have as an everyday afternoon snack. I love it and I can’t stop eating it! 🙂
Not only is this snack cake more on the healthy side, I went light on the sugar. I used only a 1/3 cup of sugar, but my Husband felt it needed a little more. I like that it has less sugar, but please feel free to add a pinch more. For the peaches I used a different kind of peach that our neighbor gave us. I am unsure what kind they are, but they are mighty tasty. I gave him tomatoes and peppers from the garden and he gave us peaches and corn. You can’t beat that trade!
I paired my snack cake with Gallo Family Vineyards Chardonnay. It is medium bodied wine, with hints of vanilla with a slightly oak flavor. It goes amazing with peaches. Plus what I love, is that Gallo Family Vineyards have the Chardonnay and several other wines in little mini bottles that are perfect for one glass of wine and fits great in the cooler. I love the mini bottles. When I travel I take a couple with me, because they fit in my luggage and are screw top, so I don’t have to worry about a bottle opener.
- Serves: 12 bars
- Serving size: 1 bar
- Calories: 136
- Fat: 4.9
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Sugar: 8.7
- Sodium: 170
- Fiber: 1.1
- Protein: 2.3
- Cholesterol: 20
- 1½ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted) or canola oil
- 2½ tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk or non-fat milk
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen, divided
- 1 cup peaches, diced small
- 2 tsp Turbinado sugar (Sugar in the raw)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the coconut oil, butter and sugar. Beat in the vanilla extract and egg until blended.
- Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the coconut milk, beating after each addition until just combined.
- Gently mix in ½ cup blueberries and the peaches. Spread the batter in the prepared baking dish. Lay the remaining ½ cup blueberries on the batter and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake the cake for 20-23 minutes or until it is golden brown.
I just love summertime and I am loving all of the produce, especially ones you trade with your neighbors. I can’t wait to see what picnic recipes the #SundaySupper crew is sharing with us today.
Love picnic recipes like me? You can find more picnic recipes and ideas at Gallo Family Vineyards Picnic Post.
Here are two fabulous Gallo Family Vineyards Wine that will go great with my Blueberry Peach Snack Cake.
Chardonnay – A medium bodied wine with hints of vanilla and a light oak flavor.
Moscato – Which is a sweeter, light bodied wine with hints of peach, citrus and honey flavors.
You can find more information on Gallo Family Vineyards Wines here. You can also check out Gallo Family Vineyards website for their wine varieties and some great recipes.
Have a wonderful Sunday! I hope you go out there and have a picnic, even if it is in your own yard.
Picnic Main Dishes:
- Baked or Grilled Tandoori Chicken Legs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- BBQ Pulled Pork Picnic Sandwiches by Family Foodie
- Creamy Pesto Chicken Sandwiches by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- French Ham and Butter Sandwich (Jambon Buerre) by Shockingly Delicious
- Grilled Honey Chicken Kabobs by Life Tastes Good
- Italian Hoagie Style Pressed Picnic Sandwiches by Feed Me, Seymour
- Kimbap (Korean ‘Sushi’) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Picnic Sandwich Torte by Palatable Pastime
Picnic Salads and Sides:
Picnic Sweets and Desserts:
- Banana Pudding Cups by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Blueberry Crumb Bars by Alida’s Kitchen
- Blueberry Peach Snack Cake by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Key Lime Cheesecake Crumb Bars by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Lemon Meringue Pie in a Jar by Desserts Required
- Simple Strawberry Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Southern Fried Apricot Hand Pies by Magnolia Days
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.