I totally have summer fever. I have been enjoying picking all of my fresh tomatoes, peppers and even corn from my garden. I’ve been trying to stay away from the grocery store and using up the produce and ingredients that I have in my home. I tend to shop and buy too much produce and I never use it all, and nothing worse than food going to waste. So today I am using up what I have to make a fabulous, light, healthy summertime salad, which is my Peachy Tomato Salad.
This salad tastes amazing and the combination of flavors really come together. It’s made with simple ingredients, tomatoes, peaches, purple onion, mint, thyme, olive oil and salt and pepper. How easy is that? This is the perfect little light salad that can go with your barbecue. It would go great with any kind of meat or fish you decide to serve. For us, I went with good old BBQ chicken.
It’s funny, we have tomatoes all year a the grocery store, but nothing compares to homegrown tomatoes. You tend to forget what a tomato tastes like until you have a good one. The peaches in this recipe came from my neighbor’s yard. Yes, he gave them to me, I didn’t sneak in his yard and pick them, but what a good idea. lol I am unsure what kind of peach it is, but it tastes like a yellow peach, which are my favorite.
- 2 large peaches, thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced (I didn't de-seed my tomatoes)
- ¼ cup purple onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced (about 6 large leaves)
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- Layer the peaches and tomatoes on a large plate. Top with onion and just drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and top with mint leaves and fresh thyme.
- Serve immediately. You can refrigerate for a little while, but the peaches will turn color.
Any kind of tomato that you love will work perfectly in this recipe.
I love summer and I love this salad! I am on a vegetable kick and I love it!
Have a great day!