September is National Whole Grain Month and today I teamed up with the Whole Grain Council to help convince you to “Make the Switch” to include more nutritious and delicious whole grains in your every day meals. I think that is pretty doable after all whole grains are healthy for you, tasty and doesn’t just mean wheat, but includes foods like quinoa, wild rice, cornmeal, rye, and bulgur. Think of all the fun recipes you can make with just those ingredients. You know how I am a huge fan of quinoa! 🙂
So for today’s “Make the Switch” recipe I have for you the perfect fall recipe, Corn Chowder with Wild Rice.
This soup is just amazing. It’s creamy, filling, low-calorie, lots of vegetables and it has a slight kick of heat from the peppers and the best part a huge hit with the family. This was the first time they ever had corn chowder. Really? They have been missing out. When I told them what I was making I got ehhh, but then they had it and they couldn’t stop eating it. Needless to say I didn’t have leftovers. That’s when you know you made a recipe right!
To make the soup I used fresh corn from the husks, but you can always use frozen too. Then I added carrots, mushrooms, onions, Pasilla Peppers, and jalapeno peppers. Yum!! Then I added some chicken broth, water, wild rice and to end the meal I used already cooked chicken. I cheated on the chicken and bought a rotisserie chicken. That made this recipe super easy. The cooking time is roughly an hour and you get 10 cups of this beautiful soup. Oh and get this only 137 calories a cup. Who loves ya baby?
I entered this recipe to the Whole Grain Council to win a trip to Boston in November. I have been to Boston once and I hope to make it there again. It’s such a beautiful city filled with so much history and wonderful food. Plus I can win cash prizes! So I need your vote! But really, try the recipe and let me know what you think. I want your taste-buds to choose the winner of this contest, not popularity.
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups carrots, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 Pasilla Peppers, seeded, diced small
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, diced small
- 10 oz Baby Bella mushroom, diced small
- 6 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 4 ears corn (about 4 cups), husked off the cob
- ½ cup wild rice, dry
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. water
- 8 oz. chicken, cooked, diced small
- ½ cup half and half
- In a large pot, add olive oil, carrots, onions, Pasilla peppers and jalapeno peppers. Saute until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 4 more minutes. Pour in chicken broth and corn. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the rice, by adding wild rice and water into a large pot. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 50 minutes until puffy. Drain out any water. Set a side.
- In a small bowl, add two tablespoon of water and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch; mix until smooth. Pour into chowder. Stir until thick, a couple of minutes.
- Stir in wild rice, chicken and half and half; cook for about 5 minutes more.
Now be sure to vote for me. Every vote is registered to win $500! Score!!! To vote for me and to check out the other delicious recipes you can go here.
To find out how you can make the switch you can check out the Whole Grain Council website. They have starter steps to get you on your way. You can get more information here.
Because I am a good person, and truly believe in good eats, here is the list of bloggers and dietitians that are also in the contest.
Girl Chef Chocolate & Carrots Caroline Edwards
Ellen Kanner Ellen Kanner
Tiny Farmhouse Amy McCoy
We are Not Martha Susie Anderson
Peanut Butter and Peppers Jennifer Drummond
Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen Bobbi Burleson
The Lean Green Bean Lindsay Livingston
Cooking with Books Marnely Rodriguez-Murray
Real Mom Nutrition Sally Kuzemchak
The Nifty Foodie Amy Singleton
Mountain Mama Cooks Kelley Epstein
Healthy Seasonal Recipes Katie Price Webster
The Nutrition Twins Lyssie Lakatos, Tammy Lakatos
Poet in the Pantry Carrie Vibert
A Kitchen Addiction Jessica Tuttle
Girlichef Healther Schmitt-Gonzalez
I truly would love your vote! So please vote for me, you could win $500 and you would also be putting a smile on my face. Here is the web address to vote for my Corn Chowder with Wild Rice.
Thank you for your support!
Have a great day!