Today I have the perfect weeknight meal that is cheesy, easy and simply delicious. This recipe exceeded my expectations and it did for my family too. They were very impressed with how good it was, but how can it not be? It’s healthy, full of fiber and ummm, lots of cheesy goodness in every bite. This is my cheesy brown rice quesadilla’s.
This is made with Uncle Ben’s Natural Whole Grain Brown Rice, salsa, cheese and flour tortillas. It is the perfect meal to get your kids to help you with. After all having your kids help you prepare dinner means they are more opt to eat it. I believe that kids helping you in the kitchen will teach them learn cooking skills, how to eat properly and give them something fun and creative to do. I used to do that with Little Jenny. But now that she’s older, she now makes me dinner. Double bonus!
The funny thing is and still to this day I am asked from Little Jenny how do you make rice? It’s so easy!! Yet I always have to tell her. In this recipe I added 1/2 cup of dried brown rice to 1 cup of water, bring to a boil and cover and simmer for 10 – 12 minutes. That’s it! I make rice all of the time and one of my favorite childhood ways to eat it is with butter, salt and pepper. My Mom used to make it that way for us and now I do it as an adult. Yum!
- ½ cup Uncle Ben's Instant Brown Rice
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup salsa (your favorite kind)
- ½ cup (2 oz) mexican blend or cheddar cheese
- 4 medium flour tortillas (I used 8")
- In a medium sauce pan, add rice and water. Bring to a boil, and cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until water is evaporated. Let rice cool for a few minutes.
- Add rice to a bowl and add salsa; mix together. Evenly divide the rice and salsa mixture over each flour tortilla. Evenly divide the cheese between each tortilla and fold the tortillas in half.
- Spray a 9" skillet with cooking spray, place over medium-low heat and add one tortilla at a time. Spray the top of the tortilla with cooking spray and cook for about 2 - 3 minutes per side, just until the cheese is melted. Do the same with remaining tortillas. Cut in half and serve with salsa and or sour cream.
If you have children, Uncle Bens’ has a beginners cooking contest, which I think is perfect for the little chef in your family. All you have to do is make a short video using Uncle Ben’s rice. I think this would be a blast to make with your kids. You can go here to get more information.
Well I hope you like this cheesy goodness as much as my family and I did.
Have a super great day!
Cooking with your children makes for a great beginning! Visit
www.unclebens.com and click on The Ben’s Beginners™ Cooking Contest page to learn more!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Uncle Ben’s. The opinions and text are all mine.