It’s Friday and to me it’s treat day! I have done so well all week that I deserve a chocolaty treat, after all dark chocolate is filled with fiber and antioxidants. Good excuse to have dark chocolate, don’t you think? So today’s chocolaty treat is my Dark Chocolate Cherry Brownies. This recipe has been on my bucket list to make for a few weeks. So glad I finally made it, it’s so chocolaty good!
The brownies turned out moist in the center and crusty on the top and edges. I love crispy edges. You also get wonderful chunks of fresh cherries. Yum! I did originally make this recipe using coconut oil, but it didn’t turn out. The brownies fell apart. You can see the picture here. So I went to my old standby brownie recipe and used butter. Butter made these brownies perfect! One other thing is I recommend cutting the cherries in quarters. I cut them in half, and I’ll be honest the cherries pop out when cutting them.
- Serves: 16 Bars
- Serving size: 1 brownie
- 1 cup cherries, pitted, cut in quarters
- ½ cup butter, unsalted
- 2 oz unsweetened dark chocolate
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. cherry extract (optional)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line an 8 x 8 brownie pan with aluminum foil, with paper lapping over the side and spray with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, add cherries; Set a side.
- In a medium pot add butter and chocolate. Cook just until chocolate is melted. Take off the heat.
- Stir in sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and cherry extract until combined. Stir in flour, just until combined. Stir in cherries.
- Pour batter into prepared brownie pan. bake in oven for 30 - 35 minutes until center comes out clean with a toothpick. A few crumbs is ok.
- Let cool completely. Carefully pull brownies out of pan, cut into 12 to 16 pieces.
Well today I am heading to Wisconsin for a food blogger event with a few fellow bloggers from #SundaySupper and American Family Insurance. I will be sure to share with you my trip next week. Follow me on Instagram to get photos of the event.
Have a wonderful weekend!