I am so excited for today’s recipe! It turned out fantastic, considering I had quite a few flop recipes this past weekend! It seems I have been flopping recipes left and right lately. lol For today’s recipe I made Strawberry Galette. This so good and elegant. You have to love a nice, simple recipe that looks like it came from a bakery.
The Galette is made with fresh, sweet strawberries that have been soaked in cornstarch and sugar and placed in a middle of a pie crust. For the pie crust I totally cheated and used a Pillsbury Pie Crust. Using an already store-bought pie crust makes for a quick and easy recipe. I love that! I have always been partial to the Pillsbury Pie Crust. My Mom used it when I was a kid and I use it as an adult. I did this honestly for convenience and well I’m not very good with homemade pies crusts. I can never get it right!
I baked my Galette for about 25 minutes until it was lightly golden and then I let it cool for 20 minutes before cutting into it. The Strawberry Galette is perfect with serving with a scoop of ice cream or whip cream. However, I just kept cutting slivers of it and eating it! I know that’s bad considering I probably ate about 2 or 3 slices. I couldn’t help myself. I kind of have a thing for pies.
I really feel that this dessert is so elegant and you truly couldn’t make an easier recipe. I think it is something everyone should make at least once. If you’re not a strawberry fan, you could also use other fruit. I debating between peaches, blueberries and cherries, but went with my favorite little summertime berry, strawberry.
- 3 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 9" pie crust (I used Pillsbury)
- 1 egg white
- ½ tbsp. Turbinado sugar or granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set a side.
- In a bowl, add strawberries, cornstarch and sugar, mix until combined.
- Roll pie crust onto baking sheet. Add strawberries to center of pie crust, leaving about an inch of room around the edges. Carefully fold the crust edges up around the berries. Brush egg white on pie crust and sprinkle with turbinando sugar.
- Bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes until fruit is bubbly and crust is lightly golden.
- Let cool, serve at room temperature.
I am kind of sad because we are almost into August and I see that the strawberries are starting to disappear from the Farmers Market. I need to stock up on them so I can freeze them. Strawberries are the best this time of year, so flavorful and sweet! Yum!
Have a fabulous day!