Today I have a spin on my traditional quick bread recipes. I thought, hmmmm…. why do I always have to make a sweet bread? Why not go savory? I haven’t had a nice savory quick bread in a very long time. So as I rummaged through my refrigerator, I noticed I had two zucchini that really needed to be used and that inspired me to make today’s recipe which is Savory Olive Oil Rosemary Zucchini Bread.
This bread is amazing and the smell in the kitchen is to die for!! It’s moist, but firm and you can really taste the olive oil in it. I also seasoned it with garlic powder, parsley, rosemary and scallions. To give additional moister to the olive oil, I also used greek yogurt. I love baking with greek yogurt! I am pretty proud of this bread, and I am looking forward to having it with dinner.
This bread would make for a nice sandwich bread, add some creamy cheese, some tomatoes and a little bit of cooked chicken or you can top it with an egg and have it for breakfast. It also goes great with pasta, steak or chicken. Not only is it delicious and a great compliment to a meal but it is only 104 calories a slice. I was surprised when I calculated the calories. I love surprises like that!
- Serves: 2 loaves (24 slices)
- Serving size: 1 slice
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole what pastry flour
- 1 tsp.baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. parsley
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary; finely minced
- 3 large eggs or ¾ cup egg substitute
- 2 tbsp. milk
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 cups of zucchini; shredded, squeezed
- ¼ cup scallons, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray two 9 x 5 loaf pans with cooking spray; set a side.
- In a bowl, add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, parsley, garlic powder and rosemary; mix until well combined; set a side.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, milk, yogurt and olive oil; mix until thoroughly combined. Add zucchini and scallions; mix until incorporated. Carefully stir in flour mixture until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Pour batter evenly between both loaf pans. Place in the oven and bake for 30- 40 minutes (my oven cooks fast 30 min. was perfect amount of time) or until center comes out clean with a toothpick. Let cool in loaf pan for 10 minutes, then carefully take the loaf out and place on a cooling rack.
So next time you are looking for a nice healthy, savory bread you should give this one a try. It’s different, but it is so good! I had to contain myself from eating a whole loaf.
Have a super fab day!