Today I have for you a recipe that I make a lot! I never shared it with you because normally it’s a quick dinner and when I make this I just want to eat and not calculate calories and measurements. Well today, I thought why not share it with you, after all most of us like to have a quick healthy meal that can be done in under 3o minutes. So today I am sharing with you my Spicy Chicken Stir Fry.
This stir fry is made with fresh vegetables, chicken and topped with a slightly spicy sauce that is served over a bed of brown rice. I just love it and oddly enough, even being spicy, my family loves it too. It’s probably one of my all time healthy dinners that they will eat without argument. So in my eyes this is a true win win recipe.
This meal is also a little bit of a cheat meal with the vegetables. I used Trader Joe’s fresh Asian Vegetables that is found in the produce section. It’s filled with ginger, onion, peppers, carrots, mushrooms, snap peas and peppers. I love it and I have been known just to stir fry the vegetables and eat that as a dinner. I do that when I am craving vegetables. For the meat I just cut up my chicken and I cooked it in a little bit of sesame oil. The dinner takes like 20 minutes to make total. Oh and one more cheat, I use Trader Joe’s frozen organic brown rice. Just 3 minutes in the microwave and it’s done. See what I mean about a quick meal? You just have to love when you can cheat!
I got the sauce idea from PF Changs. You know the sauce that they make at the table? I kind of made the same type of thing with my sauce. I used lite soy sauce, chili paste, distilled vinegar, garlic and peanut butter. You don’t really taste the peanut butter, but it makes it nice and thick and it’s a healthy fat. I didn’t want to add oil to the sauce. When the chicken was cooking I just whipped together the sauce. I just love it. Want it more spicier? Just add more chili paste. If it’s to spicy just add more vinegar. The vinegar cools it down. The sauce would also be great over an Asian Salad.
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- ⅓ cup onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lbs. chicken, breast, skinless, boneless, cut into bite size pieces
- 6 cups Asian Stir Fry Vegetables (I used Trader Joe's fresh vegetables)
- 2 cup brown rice, cooked (I used Trader Joe's Organic Brown Rice, frozen already cooked)
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce, low sodium
- ½ tbsp. chili pepper paste (add more to make spicier)
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- ½ tbsp. distilled vinegar
- 1 tbsp. peanut butter
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the sesame oil, onion, garlic and chicken. Cook until chicken is no longer pink; about 10 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, make your sauce. In a small bowl, add soy sauce, chili pepper paste, 1 tsp. minced garlic, vinegar and peanut butter; whisk until combined.
- Once chicken is cooked through, add 6 cups of Asian Stir-fry vegetables, Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add your sauce to the stir fry and mix until everything is coated.
- Between four plates, evenly divide the brown rice and chicken and vegetable stir fry.
You just have to love quick meals. The sauce is so good! I tend to have a little thing for spicy sauce and throw in peanut butter and it’s pure love! Yum!!! Oh and I used sriracha for more spice. Speaking of sriracha sauce, there is a new sriracha sauce called Midori Green Sriracha, sold by N.Y.-based Musahi foods they have a new green sauce. From what I understand it is like a chimichurri sauce. I am looking so forward to trying it! Here is the link from Huffington Post.
Do you have a quick favorite meal that you like to whip together? If you do, please share. I’m always looking for new ideas.
Have a super fab day!