Happy Sunday to you! Today for #SundaySupper our mission is to make something for Fat Tuesday! Oh how I love New Orleans kind of foods, but to my surprise my Husband doesn’t like anything Cajun. It’s horrible! I originally thought I would make gumbo soup, but instead I made myself a treat! Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie! Oh yah, that is what I am talking about!
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Sweet Potatoes and what better way to enjoy them then in a smoothie? This smoothie is sweet, has the most wonderful cinnamon flavor and tastes just like pie. You can’t get any better than that! Ohhhh, drinking pie baby, now that’s what I’m talking about.
To make the smoothie, you can use leftover sweet mashed potatoes or you can do what I did, cook the potato in the microwave, and then let it cool, peel the skin and pop in the blender. To give it the pie flavor, I used nutmeg, cinnamon and to sweetened it up maple syrup. All good stuff. I also used greek yogurt and non-fat milk to make it. I tried unsweetened vanilla almond milk and I felt the almond milk was a little strong in flavor. So I re-made it with non-fat milk. Coconut milk would work great too!! To make it vegan, use coconut yogurt!!
A light, sweet smoothie, made with sweet potatoes, maple syrup and spices. It tastes just like sweet potato pie!
- 1/2 cup sweet potato cooked, mashed (I used 4 oz potato)
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt, plain
- 1 cup non-fat milk or milk of choice
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. maple syrup or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 cup of ice
- 2 tbsp. whip cream, fat free
- 1 tsp. pecans, finely chopped
- Add all of the ingredients except for the topping in a blender; process until smooth. Pour into a glass and top with whip cream and pecans.
Note: To make cooked sweet potato: Wash potato, make several poke hole int he potato. Wrap in a damp paper towel, and microwave for 2 minutes, turn and cook for another two minutes or until potato is softened. Let potato cool for a few minutes and then peel off the skin. Mash with a fork or add whole into the blender.
Calories for the whole recipe including whip cream and nuts: 312, Fat: 5, Cholesterol: 5, Sodium: 208, Potassium: 806, Carbs: 45, Fiber: 4.1, Sugar: 26, Protein: 22
Hmmmm, I wonder what this would taste like with a splash of bourbon? Bourbon and maple syrup make a wonderful combo. Ok, now I am just dreaming here. Anyway, I am looking so forward to seeing what everyone created! I need to come visit my #SundaySupper family so I can have some good old Fat Tuesday food! Darn that Husband of mine!
Now don’t forget to check out the #SundaySupper crews Fat Tuesday dishes!
Have a wonderful Sunday!
Cocktails & Other Beverages:
- The Hurricane Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan
- The French 75 from Kimchi MOM
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fried Oysters and Remoulade from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Shrimp in Mustard Sauce from Noshing With The Nolands
- Mini Sweet Potato Pies from MealDiva
- Cajun Crab Beignets from Delaware Girl Eats
- Pancetta and Mushroom Arancini from Ruffles & Truffles
- Creole Shrimp Po Boy Recipe from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo from Supper for a Steal
- Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya from Yours And Mind Are Ours
- Vegan Pizza Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Red Beans and Rice from Cookin’ Mimi
- Baked Catfish Po’Boy from Curious Cuisiniere
- Muffaletta from Casa de Crews
- Bayou Seafood and Andouille Jambalaya from The Weekend Gourmet
- Seafood Gumbo from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cajun Rice and Beans from Momma’s Meals
- Creole Celery Root Bisque (with Lobster) from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Louisiana Roasted Barbecue Shrimp from Food Lust People Love
- Cajun Dirty Rice Bowls from The Dinner-Mom
- New Orleans Fried Chicken from Family Foodie
- Baked Endive and Pears in Blue Cream Sauce from Shockingly Delicious
- Okra Creole from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Banana Creme Pie with Honey Whipped Cream and Pecan Brittle from The Foodie Patootie
- Chocolate Ganache Tart from Melanie Makes
- Banana Bread Pudding from Gotta Get Baked
- Delicious Saffron Baked Beignets from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Polish Paczki from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Buttermilk Beignets from The Messy Baker
- Eggless Bread Pudding in a Jar from What Smells So Good?
- Mint Julep Bars from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mardi Gras Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frostingfrom Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mardi Gras Long Johns from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mexican Chocolate Coffee Cake from La Cocina de Leslie
- Fasnetküchle from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pecan and Chocolate Pralines from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake from Clarks Condensed
- Baked Coconut Beignets from Mess Makes Food
- Ravioli dolci di Carnevale from Manu’s Menu
- Strawberry Paczki from Neighborfood
- Blackberry Fritters from girlichef
- Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
- Flourless Chocolate Cake in a Mug with Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pecan Bars from Pies and Plots
- “Skinny Tuesday” Bananas Foster Cheesecake Parfaits from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mocha Pear Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Skinny Baked Beignets from Daily Dish Recipes