I’m back with #SundaySupper and today’s mission is to make a sweet and savory recipe for all kinds of winter squash. Oh boy, oh boy! I LOVE squash! I am excited for today’s recipes. I can eat squash everyday! It can be butternut, acorn, delicata and pumpkin. It’s so good!! I thought of a bazillion squash recipes but I had to go with one that I make all of the time, and I haven’t shared it with you and it contains one of my favorite ingredients, black beans!
This is my Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad. It’s healthy, easy to whip together and is most awesome to eat the day you make it or even the next day!! It’s made with roasted delicata squash, black beans, corn, jicama, tomato and avocado all sitting on a bed of romaine lettuce and it’s only flavored with freshly squeezed lime juice.
The salad is light, full of flavor and just simply amazing! I made this for my dinner and made extra to take to lunch the next day. I packaged it up in a mason jar and it was just as fresh the next day. I squirted some lime juice over the top to keep the avocado and jicama fresh and not soggy. I’m really impressed that it didn’t turn soggy.
The key to keeping it fresh is to package the lettuce separately and to layer it with the beans and corn on the bottom, then jicama, tomato and avocado. Squirt with that lime and you are all good. I didn’t feel the need to add dressing to this salad because of all the different flavors. You have the sweetness from the roasted delicata squash, and savory from the roasted corn and black beans. Jicama adds a nice crunch and the avocado makes it creamy. A quick little key-note; I used frozen roasted corn from Trader Joe’s. I just heated it up in the microwave with a pinch of water and it turned out perfect. I do not have patience to wait for it thaw out.
- 1 cup delicata squash, peeled, seeded diced small or butternut squash
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped small
- ⅓ cup black beans, rinsed, drained
- ⅓ cup corn, thawed if frozen
- ⅓ cup jicama, sliced small
- ¼ cup tomato, diced small
- ¼ cup avocado, diced small
- ¼ cup cilantro, diced small
- Juice of one lime
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Add squash to baking sheet and spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper; mix well. Place in oven and back for 10 minutes. Flip the squash and bake for about 10 minutes more or until squash is fork tender.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, add lettuce, black beans, corn, cooked squash, jicama, tomato and avocado. Top with avocado and lime juice.
Vitamin B-6 23.5 %, Vitamin C 135.2 %,Vitamin E 6.7 %, Calcium 13.9 %, Copper 15.5 %, Folate 62.8 %, Iron 29.2 %, Magnesium 26.3 %, Manganese 63.5 %, Niacin 21.5 %, Pantothenic Acid 18.8 %, Phosphorus 18.7 %, Riboflavin 14.9 %, Selenium 3.3 %, Thiamin 28.0 %,
Zinc 7.3 %
Wow, I didn’t realize until now how much fiber is in this salad! Great Scotts! lol This is truly a wonderful light salad and is perfect for a quick week night meal or lunch!!
Now don’t forget to check out everyone else’s squash recipe. I will be sure to check them out first thing this morning! It’s my favorite part of my Sunday! I sit back, grab a cup of coffee and check out all the #SundaySupper posts.
Have a great rest of the weekend!
Breakfasts and Breads
- Maple Butternut Squash Donuts from Mess Makes Food
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Appetizers, Starters, and Condiments
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired from Soni’s Food
- Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Lamb from girlichef
- Quick Pumpkin Butter from Shockingly Delicious
Soups, Sandwiches, and Salads
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili from Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Ruffles & Truffles
- Butternut Squash Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hearty Quinoa Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash from Citronlimette
- Roasted Buttercup Squash and Black Bean Soup (Dairy free) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Roasted Squash and Sesame Noodle Salad from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas from The Dinner-Mom
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Balsamic Brown Butter from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Butternut Squash Lasagna from Hip Foodie Mom
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti from Daily Dish Recipes
- Carnival Squash with Maple Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Pumpkin Alfredo from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Enchiladas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Pizza from Curious Cuisiniere
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Pescetarian Journal
- Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and Cranberries from Noshing With The Nolands
- Butternut Squash and Apple Crumble from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chorizo and Craisin Stuffed Acorn Squash from Family Foodie
- Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash from The Urban Mrs
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese from Big Bear’s Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic Vinegar Honey Butter from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Squash and Apples from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Chipotle Butternut Squash Fries from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Twice Baked Pumpkin Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars from Pies and Plots
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupper from Enofylz Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.