Today I debated about sharing my recipe with you. Sometimes I’m not sure what my readers want to see, I personally believe in a variety of different recipes because that’s what I like. So why didn’t I want to share my recipe with you? It’s nothing fancy, it’s just a simple side dish and I thought hmm, I don’t know? Then the next day, I had it cold for lunch and I couldn’t believe how good it tasted. I think the first night, I was just cranky. You ever get in one of those crank y moods and nothing seems good enough? That was me, one day and then the next I’m all perked up and better! So I decided, yes I must share the recipe, it’s healthy, flavorful and so good for you, plus it uses fresh summer produce.
So here is my almost never made it to my blog, Grilled Asparagus with Green Beans and Roasted Tomatoes. As you may have seen from Instagram I have been on a major vegetable kick and after receiving fresh green beans this past week from the CSA, I knew I must have them in my belly!! So my first intent was green beans, but then my refrigerator is way over flowing with vegetables that I wanted to use up, plus make some space in the fridge for leftovers and other goodies. So in came the asparagus!
Asparagus and green beans make a great combo and cook relatively the same amount of time. But I didn’t want an all green side dish, so threw in some cherry tomatoes for some color. I cooked everything together on the grill and man oh man! The slight char from the asparagus and the steamed green beans with popping cherry tomatoes is so yummy. I used some healthy, good for you lemon infused olive oil for a slight tang, and threw in some minced garlic for a little kick of flavor. I’m telling you if you like these vegetables, combining them together is simply amazing!! Your pallet will be very happy and so will the belly!
For the asparagus, I just placed them directly on the grates of my grill and turned them over every two minutes until they were slightly charred and fork tender. They started to get a little wrinkly. For the green beans I made a nice little foil packet and placed them in the packet with the cherry tomatoes, and cooked them for about 8 minutes, until the beans were slightly softened and the tomatoes were exploding. This is really an easy dish, with just a little bit of preparation. This is what my foil packet looked like. I thought I would show you since my description in the recipe may not be great!
- 8.8 oz. green beans (246 grams)
- 12 oz asparagus
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp. lemon infused olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- aluminium foil
- 1 tsp. Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat grill to low to medium heat.
- In a bowl add green beans and tomatoes. Add ½ tsp. olive oil and garlic, mix well. NOTE: if you do not have lemon infused olive oil, just sprinkle vegetables with a pinch of lemon juice and olive oil. You'll want to add the lemon flavor.
- Create a foil packet, Use two square sheets of aluminium foil big enough to hold the vegetables, plus a little room to move. Place the beans and tomatoes in the center of one sheet, Place the other sheet over top of the vegetables and fold the edges together so the vegetables are sealed in. it will look like a big square.
- In the same bowl your vegetables were in, add asparagus and brush with remaining olive oil. I used my hands to rub the olive oil over the asparagus.
- Place the foil packet with vegetables over low heat, turning frequently. Cook for about 5 - 8 minutes; or until vegetables are tender. Take packet off grill and set a side.
- To cook asparagus, place directly onto grill grates over low heat, turning every two minutes until tender and they slightly start to wrinkle. Be sure not to burn them. About 5 minutes.
- After the asparagus are cooked, cut them into bite size pieces (I used my kitchen scissors) and place in a bowl with the cooked green beans and tomato mixture; give a little mix and top with some Parmesan cheese.
I just love grilling season! I served this dish with roasted BBQ chicken. It was so good! As I am sitting here at my kitchen table and looking out my window the grill is sitting there, staring back at me! I’m thinking roasted corn on the cob for dinner tonight! I will say it again, I LOVE grilling season!
Have a great day!
P.S. Please vote for my Peanut Butter and Jelly Tart. You can vote everyday and have a chance to win up to $2000 in prizes. Thank you for your help and support. Just go here.