You know most people get up on Sunday morning and make a wonderful breakfast to feed their family, but now not me, I’m unusual! Instead I get up on Sunday morning and make ice cream. I’m a little crazy like that! But the heat has gotten to me!! But my ice cream is so healthy that I could serve it for breakfast. After all what person wouldn’t want a frozen treat for breakfast that involves sprinkles?
I have been on a major frozen yogurt kick lately and I love it. I found at my local yogurt shop they have 1/2 cup servings for 45 calories. It’s crazy! It’s all I think about!! But one difference between their yogurt and mine is that I know what went in my yogurt, and I call it the good stuff!!! It’s has all natural full fat and non-fat yogurt, fresh strawberries, a lovely banana, stevia and vanilla extract. Oh, plus for fun, sprinkles! I love the sprinkles, they are so darn cute!!!
On this recipe, I used my ice cream maker, but if you don’t have one, you could pour your mixture into a shallow freezer safe container and for fluffiness I recommend whipping it every 30 minutes to make it light. It will take about 1 1/2 hours to freeze. For me, I poured mine into my ice cream maker and about 5 minutes before it was done, I added the strawberries and sprinkles.
The ice cream is creamy, sweet and has a hint of tanginess from the yogurt and a hint of banana. You get chunks of strawberry and little soft bites of sprinkles. I love this frozen yogurt. Banana and strawberry are one of my favorite combinations. Besides the flavor I decided on using a banana because banana’s do not get rock hard in the freezer. I figured that would help with the consistency of the yogurt. Since Little Jenny doesn’t care for banana’s, the sprinkles were added for her. She’ll eat anything that has sprinkles on it. Hmmm, wonder if I put sprinkles on her vegetables if she will eat them?
A healthy, creamy, sweet frozen yogurt with a hint of banana and chock full of strawberries and sprinkles.
- 2 Cups Greek yogurt, plain full fat
- 2 Cups Greek yogurt, plain 0% fat
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 6 pkts. Stevia (to taste) or 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup strawberries, diced small
- 2 tbsp.sprinkles
- In a large bowl, add mashed banana, yogurts, vanilla extract and stevia. Mix until fully combined. Take a taste, if it is not sweet enough, add more sugar or stevia.
- In an ice cream maker, add the yogurt mixture and follow manufactures instructions.
- 5 minutes before the yogurt is done, add strawberries and sprinkles.
- If you don't have an ice cream maker, place all of the ingredients in a shallow container and place in the freezer. Whisk together every 30 minutes or so until it is frozen. This will take about an 1 1/2 hours, depending on the depth of your container.
- Serve right away for soft serve or to make more firm, place in a freezer safe container and place in the freezer until it is the consistency you like. If yogurt is to hard, leave on the counter for a few minutes to soften up.
Calories per 1/2 cup: 103, Fat: 1.9, Cholesterol: 8.8, Sodium: 49, Potassium: 254, Carbs: 13, Fiber: .08, Sugar: 6.1, Protein: 8.8
I just love making frozen yogurt, but since my Hubby is not a fan of yogurt, I promised I would give full fat ice cream a try. I know it won’t be as healthy, but I’ll probably share it with you because I’ll be proud, well if it turns out. I told you I am on a no bake kick this week! It is so darn hot and this coming weekend it’s going to be hotter.
Have a great day! Now be sure to whip up a batch of your favorite frozen treat!!