Hi Everyone!! Wow Sunday already!! Have big plans for the day? Maybe a Memorial Day picnic or a barbecue? Well if so, I have one of the best pasta dishes that you can take along with you. For today’s #SundaySupper mission, we had to make something that we could take on a picnic. When I think of picnic foods, I think of hamburgers, hot dogs, potato chips and potato salad. Well I didn’t make any of those, I made what I think is better and would compliment any dish you BBQ up!
This is my Mediterranean Pasta Salad! It’s made with mini cheese ravioli’s that I picked up at Trader Joe’s, cucumbers, tomatoes, scallions, fresh basil and a simply wonderful balsamic dressing to go over top. Thanks to Star Fine Foods, for sending me all those goodies to try, I have been on a major Mediterranean kick! I love the combination of cucumbers and tomatoes together and then topping it with a nice homemade balsamic, umm, yes please. I’m drooling thinking of it. One thing about this time of year, I’m really looking for fresh meals. In the winter it’s all about comfort, thick hearty dishes, but in the spring and summer, I am ready for light and refreshing meals, using all the freshest produce I can find. I think I crave that more now because it gets so hot here and I just want something to cool my jets!
This salad can be made in advance and the longer it sits the better the flavors are. The cheese in the ravioli’s give the salad a nice surprise then just using regular pasta. However, if you don’t have cheese filled ravioli’s, I recommend sprinkling some feta cheese onto the salad. I was originally going to do that, but then I figured that maybe too much cheese. I know, is their ever such a thing as to much cheese? I don’t think so! If your totally feeling lazy, you could skip making the dressing and add your favorite balsamic dressing, I have done that in a pinch. Since this recipe makes 13 cups, my Husband and I gave half away and had the rest for dinner the next night. It really does make for a nice meal, or a side dish and like I said the longer it sits the better the flavor!! Yum!
- 4 cups mini cheese ravioli's or other small pasta
- 3 cups cucumber, peeled, diced
- 2½ cups tomato, seed, diced
- 11 black olives (use more if you would like, I ran out)
- 3 tbsp. scallions, diced small
- 10 basil leaves, sliced small
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. ground mustard seed
- ¼ tsp.salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground pepper
- In a large pot cook the pasta according to manufactures directions; drain and place in a bowl to cool.
- Add your tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, scallions and basil to the bowl of noodles; set a side.
- In a small bowl add all of your dressing ingredients; mix until combined. Pour over pasta and vegetables. Place bowl in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. Can be made in advance.
Have a wonderful holiday!!! Now be sure to check out what goodies the rest of the #SundaySupper crew is going to bring on a picnic! Speaking of picnic, what is your favorite picnic food??
Salads and Slaws:
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Juanita’s Cocina
- Caprese Spinach Salad from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken Chopped Salad from Table for Seven
- Cold Pea Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Creamy Potato Salad with Roasted Pears, Cilantro and Romano Cheese from Gourmet Drizzles
- German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Hawaiian Cole Slaw from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Chopped Salad from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Kale Pasta Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mizeria (Polish Cucumber Salad) from From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pineapple Slaw from I Run For Wine
- Spaghetti Salad from Country Girl in the Village
- Tortellini Pasta Salad from Supper for a Steal
Sandwiches and Mains:
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich from Momma’s Meals
- Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Sandwich from Magnolia Days
- Grilled Bratwurst and Onion Open-Face Sandwiches from The Urban Mrs
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Goddess Sauce from Foxes Love Lemons
- Herbs-Garlic and Parmesan Croissants from Basic N Delicious
- Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks from Soni’s Food
- Japanese Picnic Bento Box from The Ninja Baker
- Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Moroccan Fried Chicken from MarocMama
- Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche from Happy Baking Days
- Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands
- Salmon in a Jar from Healthy. Delicious.
- Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spam Musubi from Kimchi Mom
- Apricot Oat Nut Bars from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treat Pops from In The Kitchen With KP
- Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fruit Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fruit Salad with Honey Port Drizzle from Family Foodie
- Loaded Butterscotch Bars from Vintage Kitchen
- Nathan’s Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey
- Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles
- Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love
- Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood
- Fresh Limeade with Chia Seeds from girlichef
- Pineapple Sangria from Growing Up Gabel
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade from The Messy Baker Blog
- Strawberry Lemonade from Gotta Get Baked
- Top 10 Wines for Picnic #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine blog
- Watermelon Agua Fresca from Daily Dish Recipes
Check back on Sunday for all the recipes! You can join in the chat on Twitter too: we’ll tweet throughout the day and share all of our picnic recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. To join in, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets. You can also check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.