I was contacted by with Musselman’s to ask if I wanted to make a grilled recipe using Mussleman’s Apple Butter. I couldn’t turn the opportunity down because back in January I made Grilled Chicken Wings using Mussleman’s recipe for Sweet and Spicy Wing Sauce and those wings were so darn good, that I had to try another Mussleman’s recipe! So I searched their website and found a fabulous recipe for Southwest Apple Butter BBQ Sauce and let me tell you it’s sticky sweet BBQ Heaven!!
This Barbecue sauce is so good, I kind of took a few spoonfuls of it. I kind of have a bad thing for condiments! Plus I have a love for apple butter!!! This barbecue sauce is sweet, yet it has a kick of heat to it, but not a hot heat! It’s a good kind of heat, probably because I added a dash of hot sauce to it. The sauce is very thick and sticks great to the chicken. It reminds me of a barbecue chicken that I would get down south. I can tell you, here in Northern California you can’t get BBQ sauce like this. I am so glad I can just make my own and it only takes about 5 minute!!
Like my big pieces of chicken? I bought a pound of skinless chicken breasts and I thought there would be three pieces of it and to my surprise their are only two! They are HUGE!! So I grilled both of them, and my Husband and I split one and I saved the other so I can make a BBQ chicken sandwich this week for a nice quick dinner.
I made the recipe for just the Southwest Apple Butter today, but for the chicken, all I did was flatten it out a bit, sprinkle with salt and pepper and placed it on the grill over medium heat. I added some BBQ sauce to just the top of the chicken and cooked the other side for about 7 minutes, flipped it and more added the BBQ Sauce. The chicken was done in about 15 minutes. Of course you didn’t see it, but when I plated my chicken, I also added more BBQ sauce to it. I couldn’t resist! The chicken turned out fantastic!! I love making barbecue sauce at home. I think it always tastes so much better than store bought. Wouldn’t you agree?
- Serves: 1¾ cups
- Serving size: 28 tablespoons - serving size 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup Musselman's Apple Butter
- ½ cup ketchup, reduced sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Store covered in refrigerator at least 1 hour before using. Can be covered and refrigerated for a couple of weeks.
- Serving Suggestions:
- •Brush on chicken or pork during last few minutes of grilling.
- •Heat with your favorite meatballs for an instant appetizer.
- •Stir into cooked ground beef for BBQ Sloppy Joes.
- •Heat with cocktail wieners for a quick appetizer.
- - Slightly modified from Musselman's recipe
Ready for the giveaway?
This is what you get:
- 28 oz jar of Mussleman’s Apple Butter
- Recipe cards
- Special Pig Tail Food Flipper to help you flip items on the grill with ease
To win all you have to do is tell me “What is your favorite grilled recipe?”
For extra entries: Just be sure you tell me you did so
- Sign up for email/subscribe to Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Follow Peanut Butter and Peppers and or Mussleman’s on Twitter
- Tweet my giveaway: Win a Musselman’s Apple Butter Gift Pack at Peanut Butter and Peppers[email protected]@Musselmansapple#AppleButterRecipes
- Follow Peanut Butter and Peppers and or Musselman’s on Facebook
- Follow me on Pintrest and Pin one of my recipes and tell me what one you pinned
I’ll pick a winner on Sunday night and announce the winner on Monday’s post!!
Have a great holiday weekend!! Be sure to get out there and do some grilling! That’s what I plan on doing! Ohhhh, maybe grilling at the beach? I really need to talk Hubby into that one!
Have a fab weekend and Happy Friday!!!!!!!