Sometimes your Husband does something really nice for you and in return you want to do something nice for him. But what can a Woman do to show her way of thank you? Yah, yah, what else could I do? I know make Chicken Wings!!
Yes my Husband deserved chicken wings, why? Because I finally, after 3 years of begging, I got a treadmill!! Woohoo!! His Friend at work was getting rid of his and as soon as I said, I must have it, my Husband said no. I begged and pleaded and he finally gave in. I think this deserves chicken wings, a whole 2 pounds of them. But these are not ordinary chicken wings, they are grilled to be healthier and the sauce, oh the sauce is a Sweet & Spicy Wing Sauce.
I received a little gift package from Musselman’s, which contained a big jar of apple butter and I couldn’t open the jar of Apple Butter quick enough, the next thing you knew I was eating it by the spoonful. It’s sweet and has the most wonder apple flavor, muah! Plus its low sugar and 0 fat!! You know how much I love apples and this apple butter is so perfect!! I couldn’t wait to use it. After all, I had to use it right away, before I ate it all.
Musselman’s asked if I could come up with a Super Bowl recipe using their apple butter. I thought, apple butter and Super Bowl? They don’t go together! Boy was I wrong!! On the Musselmans website they had a ton of recipes using apple butter and one was for baked Sweet & Spicy Wing Sauce. Hmmm, I was quite intrigued, hot sauce and apple butter, together? Sounds like an odd combo! I must try it!! Normally I like to come up with my own recipe, but I couldn’t stop thinking of apple butter and hot sauce together. Now don’t let the ingredients fool you, they are so darn good!!! The sauce is sweet with a kick of heat from the hot sauce. My Husband likes Habanero and Mango BBQ Sauce on his wings, which had me thinking, I wonder if he would like this sauce? Really, he had no choice, I had to try this recipe!! After he had one wing, he loved it and he said that he liked it better than his Habanero and Mango BBQ Sauce! SCORE!!!!! He ate the whole 2 pounds of wings! For a skinny man, he sure can eat a lot! lol
This was the first time I ever grilled chicken wings. I thought this would be so much healthier than frying them and I don’t care for baked wings either. These wings were so easy to grill! All I did was add sauce to each side of the wings, and turn every 3 minutes for about 15 minutes until done. They turned out crispy and perfect! I have to say, I was quite impressed. After all I’m from Buffalo and wings is my thing! I would so eat grilled wings again. Your probably wondering, what is the versus Woman part in the title? Well for me, I decided since I had one chicken breast that had to be used, that I would grill a breast with the Sweet & Spicy Wing Sauce. It turned out perfect!!! It was tender and has so much flavor from the wing sauce. Honestly, I was really impressed!! If you like your wings or chicken breasts, sticky, sweet with some heat, than you must try this sauce!! Trust me on this one!
I decided that I would give you both recipes for grilled wings and for grilled chicken breasts. The recipe is basically the same with a small modification. The nutritional information is broken down for you too!!
- Serves: 1¾ cups sauce and 2 lbs chicken
- Serving size: 4 oz of chicken with wing sauce
- 1 cup Musselman's Apple Butter
- ½ cup hot sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ tsp. celery salt
- 2 lbs. uncooked chicken wings, cut into 2 sections, or chicken drummettes or 2lbs. skinless boneless chicken breasts
- Mix together the apple butter, hot sauce, ketchup and celery salt in a medium bowl. Reserve ¾ cup of the hot sauce as a dip. (makes 2 cups)
- To make chicken wings:
- Spray Grill with cooking spray and Preheat grill over medium - high heat. Add chicken wings, brush the top with wing sauce. Turn after about 3 minutes; brush with more wing sauce. Continue to turn the chicken wings every few minutes until the meat is not pink and juice runs clear. This will usually take about 16 – 18 minutes total.
- You’ll know the wings are close to being done when you see bubbles forming underneath the skin. These bubbles are formed from the steam coming off of the meat as it cooks through. Also, keep the grill closed as much as you can to speed up the cooking and cut down on the flare-ups. You can be pretty sure they are done when they have a nice brown or charred layer like this (some charring is fine, the sauce will take care of it).
- Toss the chicken wings in remaining sauce immediately after removing from the grill while they are nice and hot. Leave them in the sauce for a few minutes to soak in the goodness.
- Serve with reserved ¾ cups of sauce.
- To grill chicken breast:
- Spray Grill with cooking spray and Preheat grill over medium - high heat. Add chicken breast and brush both sides with wing sauce.
- Cook each side for about 4 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juice runs clear.
- Add reserved sauce over the chicken.
Calories for the chicken wings (about 2 wings each - 4 oz): 272, Fat: 16, Cholesterol: 85, Sodium: 205, Carbs: 6, Fiber: 0, Sugar: 4.6, Protein: 21.1
Calories for 4 oz boneless Chicken breast: 142.9, Fat: 2, Cholesterol: 65, Sodium: 200, Carbs: 6, Fiber: 0, Sugar: 4.6, Protein: 26
Just in time for the Super Bowl, now you can make a fun apple butter recipe for the big day! Ready for the giveaway? For you, I have the cutest little gift pack that contains 28oz. jar of Musselmans Apple Butter, an adorable little bowl to serve your sauce and a few recipes to start you on your apple butter journey!
To win all you have to do is tell me, what is your favorite Super Bowl food?
For extra entries: Just be sure you tell me you did so
- Sign up for email/subscribe to Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Follow Peanut Butter and Peppers and or Mussleman’s on Twitter
- Tweet my giveaway: Win a Musselman’s Apple Butter Gift Pack at Peanut Butter and Peppers @JenatPBandP @Musselmansapple#AppleButterRecipes
- Follow Peanut Butter and Peppers and or Musselman’s on Facebook
- Go to Musselman’s and tell me what recipe would you want to make?
- Follow me on Pintrest and Pin one of my recipes and tell me what one you pinned
I’ll pick a winner on Monday and announce the winner on Tuesday!! Good Luck and Happy Friday to you!!!!!!!!