Happy Mother’s Day!
Today for #SundaySupper we are celebrating Mom’s! Today is such an important day to celebrate the woman who brought you life, the one who takes care of you no matter what your age is and the one who loves you for you, no matter what you do! Today I will not be celebrating Mother’s Day with my Mom, not because I’m to busy or because I don’t want to, but because we live 3000 miles apart. It’s hard being so far away from my Mom, she’s my best friend, and I miss her very much! Now that I am starting to get a little mushy, I thought I should share with you a recipe that I made especially for celebrating Mother’s Day!
This is my Blueberry Coffee Cake. This cake is light, moist, sweet and chock full of my second favorite spring berry, next to Strawberries of course. I have had this recipe floating around in my head for weeks and I thought today would be a perfect day to share it with you. Nothing beats sitting with a good cup of coffee or tea and having a light, low calorie piece or two of Blueberry Coffee Cake as you sit with your Mom and gossip about all your family members. Yes, I said gossip, you know you do!
When making this recipe, I had the idea of what and how I was going to make this recipe, but when I made it, I realized I didn’t have enough batter to do what I planned. So I took a chance and made it anyway! This cake exceeded my expectations!! I was so happy on how puffy it got, and I when I took it out of the oven, I almost fell over on how beautiful I thought it was. Little Jenny who doesn’t like blueberries, said it looks delicious, especially for blueberries. Here it is fresh out of the oven. I wish you could have smelled it. I have learned a key to baking, is smell. Once you get that oh my gosh smell, it’s normally pretty close to being done!
It totally looks better in person, but you get the idea! I tried to make this cake a little bit healthy, but I still manage to use 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter, and I honestly thought coffee cake needs butter!! Real butter! Gosh every time I even say the word butter I think of Paula Deen. lol Anyway, the cake in general is low calorie. It comes in at only 124 calories a slice, and the slices are a nice decent size, not bad for cake.
This cake is also very easy to make and it bakes up in 20 minutes, so if your in need of a quick cake this is the cake for you. If you want to be fancy, bake it in a round pan. I actually wanted to do that, but or the life of me I can’t find my cake pans. I have looked everywhere and they simply disappeared. So annoying. Maybe for Mother’s Day I’ll get some new cake pans?? Even though I am not officially a Mom, I do have two step-daughters and two BAD dogs, which I think is a lot more work then kids, ok, maybe not! But my gosh, could they be anymore bad?
- Serves: 12 Slices
- Serving size: 1 Slice
- 11/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted) or canola oil
- 2½ tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup sugar (I used ½ cup NuNaturals Presweet Tagatose)
- ¼ cup egg substitute or 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk or non-fat milk
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp. Turbinado sugar (Sugar in the raw)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set a side.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the coconut oil, butter and sugar. Beat in the vanilla extract and egg until blended.
- Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the coconut milk, beating after each addition until just combined.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking dish. Lay 1 cup blueberries on the batter and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake the cake for 20-23 minutes or until it is golden brown.
Calorie per slice using Sugar: 133, Fat: 5.5, Cholesterol: 6.5, Sodium: 154, Potassium: 15.6, Carbs: 19.8, Fiber: 2.3, Sugar: 7.6, Protein: 2.6
I want to wish my Mom a very Happy Mother’s Day! I think you are the best Mom ever and I miss and love you very much!!!
To all the Mom’s out there, including the ones with no kids but pets and Husbands, because your still a Mom to me, I wish you the most wonderful day ever! Sit back, relax and make sure your family takes care of you today. This is your special day, a day to celebrate YOU!
Happy Mother’s Day everyone!!
Oh, I almost forgot, don’t forget to check out the #SundaySupper recipes! I can’t wait to see what special dish they will be serving on this Mother’s Day!
P.S. Here’s a picture of my Mom and I.
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Blueberry Coffee Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cornbread Pancakes with Blackberries from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Crepes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot N Sweet Mango Chutney from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Lemon Glazed Raspberry Scones from Juanita’s Cocina
- Quiche Lorraine from Supper for a Steal
- Seafood Quiche from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Simple Gluten-Free Buckwheat Buttermilk Waffles from Buffy and George
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote from Noshing with the Nolands
- Sweet French Breakfast Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Vidalia Onion Quiche from Comfy Cuisine
Mother’s Day Entrees:
- Cod with Stewed Tomatoes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Herbed Goat Cheesefrom Foxes Love Lemons
- Lemon Risotto from Healthy. Delicious.
- Lobster Ravioli with Shrimp Caper Sauce from Family Foodie
- Pork dumpling (Shumai) from The Urban Mrs.
Mother’s Day Starters and Sides:
- Crab Bread Pudding from Kimchi MOM
- Cream of Asparagus Soup from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Spaetzle from Magnolia Days
- Spring Orzo Pasta Salad from The Messy Baker
- Vegetable Tart from Sustainable Dad
Mother’s Day Desserts:
- Bailey’s Caramel Apple Lava Dumplings from Gourmet Drizzles
- Blackberry Cobbler from Country Girl in the Village
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls from Gotta Get Baked
- Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie from Ruffles & Truffles
- Espresso Brownies from What Smells So Good?
- Fresh Blackberry Elderflower Sorbet from Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Fig and Walnut Pie from Vintage Kitchen
- Gluten Free Coconut Cake with Chocolate Ganache, Berries, and Fresh Whipped Cream fromNeighborfood
- Lavender Shortbread Cookies from girlichef
- Lemon Meringue Pie from Pies and Plots
- Lemon Petit Fours from Home Cooking Memories
- Lemon Sorbet in Prosecco from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Milky Way Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Strawberry and Cheese Pies from Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Apple Crisp from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mom’s Texas Sheetcake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Mum’s Strawberry Cake from My Cute Bride
- Pastel Imposible (Impossible Cake) from The Foodie Patootie
- Pineapple Empanadas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Raspberry and Hazlenut Friands from Happy Baking Days
- Semolina Balls (Suji Laddoo) from Soni’s Food
- Too-Good-to-Be-Lowfat Chocolate Eclair Icebox Dessert from The Weekend Gourmet
- Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting from Growing Up Gabel
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, May 12th to celebrate Mother’s day! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes that celebrate mom. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.