I want you to know I am not a chef, I just like to pretend I am one! With that said I bring you tonight’s dinner. It’s not fancy, it’s not pretty, but it’s fun, a little crazy and everyone, especially kids will love it. I bring you my Breaded Chicken on a Stick!
Yup, Chicken on a Stick! Kind odd sounding, but it works! I got this idea when I was at Trader Joe’s. They have a new chicken parm on a stick and I thought, hey that’s kind of a neat little appetizer. Easy serving for a party, like the Super Bowl or for kids (I don’t recommend this for younger kids, unless you take the chicken off the stick), who like chicken fingers. It’s a fun way to have your chicken!! My Husband looked at them and was like, what is that? I told him, and I think he thought I was weird! But you know what? He ate them, almost all of them!! So it went over well in my house! We dipped them in Franks Hot Sauce and Ranch Dressing, but it would also be great dipped in nacho cheese or marinara sauce!
To make them it is super easy!!! I had two large chicken breasts, which were just shy of one pound, I cut them into strips, dipped in egg whites and then into whole wheat panko bread crumbs. I took my bamboo skewers and put them right through the chicken. It took less than 10 minutes to do this. Than I placed them on a baking sheet with a baking rack and baked for 15 minutes. If you do not have a baking rack, just flip them half way through cooking time. They will turn out nice and crispy. I could have probably breaded the chicken a little more, but when I was putting it together, it looked like it had enough bread crumbs. So next time I may add a pinch more. But I’ll be honest, panko bread crumbs make a nice crunchy breading for the chicken, but I like cornflakes better. Cornflakes make a really nice breading for baked chicken. Just take the cornflakes and smash them with a rolling pin!! They turn out perfect every time! Here’s the chicken before I put them in the oven. See they look breaded enough!
- Serves: 10 Skewers
- Serving size: 2 Skewers
- 1 lbs chicken breast, skinless boneless
- ½ cup panko whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp. water
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. oregano or parsley
- 10 bamboo skewers
- Preheat oven 375F
- Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and place a baking rack over the top and spray with cooking spray. If you do not have a baking rack, spray your aluminum foil with cooking spray; set a side.
- Add egg white and water in a shallow bowl, and whisk together with a fork; set a aside.
- In another shallow bowl add bread crumbs, smoked paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and oregano; mix together; set aside.
- Cut the chicken into long strips, about ½" thick. (one chicken breast made 5 strips) Dip the chicken into egg whites, then dredge into the bread crumb mixture. Place the skewer through the middle of the chicken and place on prepared baking sheet. Prepare the rest of the chicken the same way.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. If you are not using the baking rack, flip the chicken half through cooking time.
- Serve with hot sauce, ranch dressing or marinara sauce.
Here are a couple of my favorite breaded chicken recipes, that you maybe interested in. These here are my Cornflake Breaded Chicken Breasts. These were a huge hit with my family. I make these all of the time and my Husband and Little Jenny love them!!!
These are my personal favorite Buffalo Chicken Fingers. These are also made with cornflakes and Franks Hot Sauce!! Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm!!! LOVE this recipe!!
I just love appetizer night! It’s a nice change-up from traditional dinners, plus I was craving protein! I have been eating so many salads, fruits and vegetables that I just needed some chicken!!! Every once in a while my Husband and I like to have finger food night. I grab whatever appetizers I have left in the freezer and cook them together for an interesting and fun dinner. It’s a great way to use leftovers. By the way I served the Chicken on a Stick with Trader Joe’s potato samosa’s. They weren’t to bad! I’d buy them again and my Husband who doesn’t like Indian food liked them. Which shocked me!!!
Well I hope you like tonight’s edition of Chicken on a Stick! Something a little crazy to do with your chicken! After all who doesn’t like to eat off a stick?
Have a great day!
P.S. QUESTION: What is your favorite food served on a stick????
Update: Me again! I just got an e-mail from Christy from Leap Fitness and she and Mike nominated my blog for Top 100 Health and Fitness blogs to watch in 2013. I am truly honored to be nominated, considering that there are 99 other health and fitness blogs that are simply wonderful! I know almost all of them and to have me up there with them is a big privilege for me! If you would like to vote for Peanut Butter and Peppers, all you have to do is click on the photo below. Just look for my name and click like. No registration, signing up required, which is nice!! Thanks everyone!!