It’s going to be cold this weekend! Time to find the winter gloves and pull out my cozy sweaters. Last week it was in the mid 80’s and now it’s suppose to be high 50 and lots of rain! I’m not ready for this!! The only thing good about cold weather is putting a fire in the fireplace and cooking good old comfort food!!!
Today I have for you Mini Apple Galette’s. I made these on a whim, debating if I wanted to make apple crisp or an apple pie. I always wanted to make a fruit galette and I thought, why not making it tonight? After all it’s one of my food recipes on my Food Bucket List! Now I can scratch one recipe off, about a million more to go!
These were pretty easy to make, though I am not the best person when it comes to working with phyllo dough, puff pastry or pie crusts, but I’m pretty happy with these little guys. I used a 9″ Pillsbury pie crust and used the bottom of a glass to cut them into little circles. I added my apple to the center and carefully folded up the sides. To be honest some of the sides fell a little but most stuck together nicely.
I peeled, cored and diced up my apple, added a pinch of cinnamon, a little bit of lemon juice and added a touch of brown sugar. Mixed up the apples in a bowl, and let it sit while I rolled out my dough. Once I placed the apples in the dough I brushed the dough with egg white and sprinkled with turbinado sugar. I baked for 12 minutes and out came these mini little pies. They taste just like an apple pie!! My Husband loved them and so did I. For a little flair, I took some whip cream, sprinkled with cinnamon and added a little dollop on to my pies. After all a pie isn’t the same with out whip cream or vanilla ice cream.
These mini little Galette’s would be perfect to serve for an appetizer for Thanksgiving or for a nice brunch. If you’re not a fan of apples, you can always add any kind of fruit you like, such as berries, pears, peaches and plums. However since these are mini’s, you need just a small amount of fruit I used 3/4’s of an apple for these Gallete’s, and I made 13 of them.
The whole process to make these, took about 20 minutes or so, including baking time. There a nice quick dessert to make and since they are mini, completely guilt-free. The calories for each Galette is only 69.6 calories. Not to bad!! Now you can make the same recipe and make them bigger. I was too lazy to dig up my bigger round cookie cutter, so the bottom of my drinking glass worked perfect! The only thing is, you don’t want to go to small or it is hard to roll up the edges and fill it with apple.
Mini little French apple dessert with a free form pie crust
- 1 apple (90 grams), cored, peeled, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 9" pie crust (I used Pillsbury)
- 1/2 egg white
- 1/2 tsp. turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set a aside
- In a small bowl, add diced apple, lemon juice, cinnamon and brown sugar; mix together and set aside.
- Roll pie dough out on a piece of parchment paper or onto a silpat pad; with a 3" cookie cutter or the bottom of a glass, cut out circles. Place 1 tablespoon of apple mixture into center of dough and carefully fold the dough sides up around the apples; leaving the center of the apples exposed.
- Set onto baking sheet. Continue do do the same with remaining dough. You may have to re-roll out the dough. I had just a pinch of scrap dough left.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg white and brush onto apple and dough. Evenly sprinkle the dough with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 10 - 13 minutes, until lightly golden.
Calories per Galette: 69.6, Fat: 3.8, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 83.7, Potassium: 12, Carbs: 9.3, Fiber: .02, Sugar: 1.3, Protein: .02
Well my Friends! Time to whip another recipe! I hope you have a lovely weekend. Stay safe and warm!!