Today is another recipe from the Skinny Bitch Cookbook. For this round Michelle from Healthy Bites picked out the recipe for Breakfast Bake. I was getting ready to make this for breakfast, but after re-reading the recipe I realized that this would be better as a dinner side dish then for breakfast.
The original recipe called for mushrooms, soy sausage or tempeh and vegan cheese. I had to swap them out because I don’t like mushrooms at all and I know I could not serve my family vegan cheese and soy. That would not go over to well with them. I could only imagine the faces they would make. Instead of those ingredients I decided to use sweet bell pepper, chicken sausage and lite shredded cheese. I must omit it turned out pretty tasty. I was pretty impressed with this recipe!
The recipe in its self was pretty easy to make which is a big plus. Out of all the Skinny Bitch recipes I have made so far, I like this one and the Wild Rice one’s the best. This potato bake has a ton of flavor and it’s so cheesy. Oh and when it was baking, it smelled absolutely amazing! I think the rosemary and thyme really added some great flavor. Would I make this recipe again? You bet I would!! How can you go wrong with cheese and potatoes?
The stats for this dish isn’t to bad considering the ingredients. After all I used sausage, cheese and potatoes. Honestly I could probably have eaten the whole thing, it’s just that good, however I must control myself. I haven’t had regular potatoes and cheese in so long, this was a wonderful treat! To be honest my Husband didn’t care for it. He said he didn’t like the peppers I added. I don’t know how? A lot of recipes use peppers and onions with baked potatoes. Matter in fact I have made roasted potatoes with peppers before and he liked it. My Husband was pretty crabby and nothing I would have made would have tasted good to him. Maybe I’m bias but I really liked this dish and I think you would too!
- Serves: 4 Heaping Cups
- Serving size: 1 Cup
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups (1lbs) potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 chicken sausage, sweet apple flavored, diced small (Trader Joe's)
- ½ cup sweet bell pepper, diced small
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup lite cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Spray a saute pan with cooking spray and add olive oil, onion, pepper and cook over medium heat until soft. About 3 minutes
- Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add sausage and potatoes and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add thyme, rosemary, salt & pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. During the last few minutes of baking, sprinkle with cheese and bake until cheese melts.
- serves 4 - 6 people
I think today was a great pick from the Skinny Book Ultimate Everyday Cookbook. Stop by the other ladies links below to see how they changed up this recipe. I can’t wait to find out!
Claire from the Realistic Nutritionist
Michelle from The Healthy Bites
Stephanie from Eat.Drink.Love
Time for me to make dinner tonight! Stay tuned for a fun recipe tomorrow. This was the one I told you about on Monday that I couldn’t wait to share with you. Going to remake it tonight to make sure it’s perfect for you.
Enjoy your day!