Hello and Happy Tuesday!
Today I bring to you my All American Pancakes.
I had this grand idea of making these pancakes, and I did make them, but they turned out awful! They were over mixed, ran short on batter and were just a total flop! I was so disappointed!! But they do look cool don’t they?
On my second batch of pancakes I scrapped the idea of food coloring and yogurt. I used to much yogurt and the flavor of the pancakes were not good!! Like I said, I way over mixed them! I could use them for a frisbee! I also decided to use whip cream for my middle layer instead of yogurt! Much better choice if I do say so myself.
I decided to make a Blueberry Quick jam for the topping. All I did was take two bags (6 cups) of frozen blueberries, lemon juice and some stevia and cooked it up in a skillet. I do love my quick jams. It will go great on yogurt, ice cream and oatmeal. Oh and pancakes of course!
This batch of pancakes turned out light and fluffy! I used my spelt pancake mix, since I was out of whole wheat pastry flour. The spelt gives it pretty speckles. I also decided to go with old fashion maple syrup for my topping, since it’s been a while since I have had it. Maple Syrup and pancakes are make a wonderful companionship! Just don’t take the time to take pictures of it, the whip cream will disappear to quickly!
Here is the recipe for the Blueberry Quick Jam:
- 6 cups blueberries, frozen or fresh
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. stevia or 1/4 cup of sugar
In a large skillet add blueberries, lemon juice and stevia.
Cook blueberries, stirring constantly until thick. About 15 -20 minutes.
Place blueberries in a jar and let it sit on your counter until cool.
Store in the refrigerator.
Calorie per 2 Tablespoons: 30, Fat: .04, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: .06, Potassium: 32, Carbs: 7.2, Fiber: 1.6, Sugar: 5, Protein: .02
Making this batch of pancakes I used a scant 1/4 cup of batter. I did run short and ended up with 5 pancakes. If your going to make this for more than two people I recommend doubling the batter. Since it was only me eating them, I kept it with 5. I’ll take the other two to work tomorrow and have it for breakfast.
A light and fluffy pancakes made with strawberry and blueberry jam with a whip cream middle.
- 1/3-cup 0% Greek Yogurt
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Spelt Pancake Mix or see notes for from scratch pancakes
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. Blueberry Quick Jam
- 2 tbsp. Strawberry Quick Jam
- 1/4 cup fat free whip cream
- Mix Greek Yogurt, Egg Whites, and vanilla Extract into a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine Pancake Mix and sugar ( or Flour, Baking Soda, & Salt see notes for ingredients)
- Combine and whisk till evenly mixed
- Place 1/4-cup batter onto non-stick skillet and cook till bubbles start appearing through the top of the pancake and then flip.
- For topping:
- Layer the pancakes: Bottom layer put 1 tbsp. strawberry quick jam.
- Middle layer: 2 tablespoons whip cream
- Top Layer: 1 tablespoon blueberry quick jam.
Subbing Spelt Pancake Mix: 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour 1/2 tsp Baking Soda, Dash of Salt
Calories per serving: 160, Fat 1.2, Sodium: 90.0, Potassium: 148.6, Carbs: 24.6, Fiber: 6.4, Sugar: 5.5, Protein: 13.2
Glad today is the last day of work!! I decided to take off Thursday, so I can have two days in a row. It kind of stinks that the fourth of July falls on a Wednesday. It’s hard to see the firework show and get up for work the next morning. Do you have Thursday off? Any big plans for the 4th?
Have a great day!