Today is the Holiday Recipe Club Blog Hop is hosted by Erin from Big Fat Baker. Today’s hop we had a choice of ingredients, either spinach, eggs or carrots. I debated about egg dishes since I love eggs, but I decided on using carrots. I love these hops because I get to put my thinking cap on and try to come up with a different kind of dish. During the last hop I made pistachio pancakes, which I just adore, so this time I thought, hmm, carrots in pancakes and therefore Carrot Cake Pancakes were born.
I actually made this recipe twice, since I didn’t think the first ones were not carrot cake tasting enough, so with a few modifications to the recipe, I came up with these bad boys. I am really happy with the second set of pancakes. They came out thick and had more shredded carrots in them. I changed them up by adding yogurt, cutting back on the milk and adding brown sugar to them. Perfect!! If you’re a carrot cake fan, you will love these!
I made a cream cheese frosting, which was fat-free cream cheese, milk, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and cornstarch. The frosting was amazing! In the original recipe I kind of over did the topping on my pancakes, but I was having so much fun with it. After all said and done, I felt it was just a little to sweet for me, but if you like sweet frosting than add more to the pancakes. But I will say the frosting was bowl licking good!
I am looking forward to the next hop, because I can’t wait to see what ingredients they let us choose from. I wonder if I’ll be able to make pancakes with one of the ingredients? If your interested in joining the Holiday Recipe Club, you can check out all the information here. You should join, it brings out your creative side using the ingredients they tell you to use.
- Serves: 6 oancakes
- Serving size: 3
- ½ cup greek yogurt plain
- 2 egg Whites
- 1 tbsp. milk, non-fat
- ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Brown Sugar, packed
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon, ground
- ¼ tsp. ginger, ground
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg, ground
- 1 dash cloves, ground
- ¾ cup carrots, shredded
- **Cream Cheese Topping**
- 1 tbsp. cream cheese, fat free at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional add ins: raisins and walnuts
- For Pancakes:
- Mix greek yogurt, milk, egg whites & vanilla extract into a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, spices and salt. Mix and add carrots.
- Combine and whisk till evenly incorporated.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray, turn heat to medium, let the skillet heat up and add ¼ cup of batter to skillet and cook till bubbles start appearing through the top of the pancake and then flip.
- About 2-3 minutes on each side
- For cream cheese topping:
- Add cream cheese, powdered sugar, cornstarch, milk, vanilla and cinnamon to a small bowl and whip together until combined.
- Add cream cheese topping to pancakes.
Now be sure to check out the other recipes on the blog hop! I can’t wait to see what everyone posted. It’s funny how we get the choice of the same ingredients and everyone makes something a little different, that’s what is so cool about the Holiday Recipe Club! Same ingredients and totally different recipes. Than you think, oh man, that was a great idea, why didn’t I think of that. That’s normally what I do.
Off to make din din! Have a great day!