When I was shopping at Trader Joe’s this weekend they had bags of Meyer Lemons. Oddly enough they are kind of hard to find in California. But today it was like I struck gold when I saw that little bag of Meyer Lemons. I knew I had to buy them and I knew exactly what I was going to make. So you can guess today’s recipe is Meyer Lemon Bars. How could I not resist making lemon bars with these sweet and tangy little gems?
These bars turned out perfectly! They have a sweet buttery crust topped with a sweet and slightly tangy lemon. Oh my gosh I am in heaven. Plus the recipe is so easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for them to cool. If you love lemon bars like I do, you will love this recipe.
Since Meyer Lemons are slightly sweet because they are crossed between a mandarin orange and a lemon I limited my sugar in the recipe. In the lemon bars I used 1 1/4 cup of sugar, my recipe called for 1 1/2 cups. If you are using traditional lemons I recommend going with a cup and a half of sugar. Unless you like it tangy like me. 🙂
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 2 sticks (1 Cup) butter, cut into small cubes (cold)
- 1¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 4 whole large eggs
- ½ cup Meyer Lemon juice
- zest from one lemon
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan with butter; set aside
- In a large bowl, add 2 cups flour,1/2 cup sugar and salt. Mix until combined. Cut in cold butter and with a pastry cutter or your hands break the mixture down till it is course and crumbly. Press mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake in oven for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add 1¼ cups sugar, ¼ cup all purpose flour and eggs. Mix until well combined. Whisk in lemon juice and lemon zest until combined. Pour over the crust and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let the lemon bars cool to room temperature then place in the refrigerator for two hours or more. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired and cut into 24 bars.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I am so in love with this recipe. I love how simple it is and how everyone smiles when they eat one. They are simply amazing little bars.
Have a great week!