Hi Everyone, Today for #SundaySupper we teamed up with The Beef Checkoff to serve you healthy dishes using beef. Today I went for a more elegant, romantic dinner. I wanted to serve up a healthy grain, fresh fruit and of course the star of the show Certified Angus Beef Filet Mignon with an easy cherry sauce.
My dish is nothing but classic. The beef has been grilled to medium so it is lightly pink in the center and the sauce, oh the sauce is amazing. It’s made with Merlot, balsamic vinegar and cherries. The sauce is sweet and savory and a perfect complement to the beef. Before I cooked the beef, I drizzled it with olive oil and minced garlic. I never add salt to my beef when I cook it because it takes out the water in the beef and tends to make it dry.
I chose Filet Mignon beef because it is lean, tender and full of healthy protein. I always tend to use a lower fat beef when I cook. It pairs perfectly with fruit, vegetables and whole grains. For vegetables I added steamed asparagus with my meal. It complements the dish perfectly. Broccoli would also be amazing too.
This dish takes a little bit of time to prepare, but it is wonderful and perfect for a Sunday dinner. It’s a great dish to share with friends, family and a special loved one. I am pretty proud of this dish and to me it is restaurant quality and comes in at under 500 calories; which includes the asparagus.
- 4 (4) 1-inch thick Filet Mignon
- Olive oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic, divided
- 1 cup Merlot or Burgundy wine
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups of fresh Bing cherries, rinsed, pitted or frozen that is thawed
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked
- Bring beef to room temperature and drizzle olive oil and garlic over the beef. Make sure it is evenly covered.
- Meanwhile; in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the wine and balsamic vinegar to a boil. Continue boiling approximately 15 minutes or until mixture is reduced to ½ cup. Add cherries and sugar. Cover on low heat for 10 minutes. Keep warmed until ready to serve. (Note: Taste test your sauce, add a little salt and pepper if needed)
- Heat grill to medium low heat; add Beef Filet Mignon. Cook for 7 minutes; flip and cook until internal temperature reaches 130 degrees for medium doneness; approximately 5 – 7 minutes. Take steaks off of the grill; cover and let steaks rest for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of rice to each plate. Top the rice with a filet and top with cherry sauce.
It so easy to build a healthy plate when using lean Beef. All you need is your favorite grain, such as brown rice, quinoa or even barley. Add healthy fruits, like cherries, apples and peaches. Add your vegetables, like asparagus, broccoli, peppers, lettuce and kale. You can make amazing salads with this combination or fancy dishes like mine. The possibilities are endless and all you need is your imagination and mix your healthy favorites together. For more healthy meals with beef you should check out this Pinterest Board. Their are gorgeous photos and great ideas for all of your breakfast, lunch and dinner needs. If you want to learn about different cuts of beef, get recipes, learn how to cook beef and some fun ideas you need to check out Beef What’s For Dinner site. Plus you can join the Protein Challenge; which is a fabulous idea since we all need protein in our diet to make strong healthy bones, plus it helps burn fat and its low or no carb and just plain good for you. I am so excited to see all of the healthy meal ideas that the #SundaySupper gang is sharing with us today. For more information on Beef Check Off. Check out the following links: Website: Facebook: Twitter: Pinterest: Have a great week! Toodles, Jennifer Healthy Plates with Beef
- Beef and Green Beans over Orange Rice by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Short Ribs with Polenta and Sautéed Greens by Whole Food | Real Families
- Beer Braised Beef Brisket by Life Tastes Good
- Beef Stifado by Recipe for Perfection
- Classic Pot Roast with Lemon and Rosemary by MealDiva
- Easy Stovetop Marsala Roast Beef by Family Foodie
- Filet Mignon with Cherry Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Garlic & Herb Prime Rib with Roasted Potatoes & Beets by Momma’s Meals
- Rosemary Garlic Brisket by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sauerbraten by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Shank Cut Osso Buco by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Beef Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Caribbean Beef Stew by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas by Daily Dish Recipes
- Spoon Roast with Mushrooms and Farro by Cooking Chat
- Szegediner Gulasch (German Sauerkraut Beef Goulash) by Magnolia Days
- Thai Red Curry with Beef and Butternut Squash by kimchi MOM
- Vietnamese Style Beef Stew by I’m Not the Nanny
Plus 5 Quick Side Dishes for Beef #SundaySupper with The Beef Checkoff. Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.