It’s been awhile since I posted, sorry about that. I was in Pennsylvania this past week for work. Plus to be honest I needed a little break. So today I am back with a new recipe that I just love. It’s light, filling, vegetarian and healthy! It’s my Vegetarian Mexican Rice.
This rice bowl, is made with fresh poblano peppers, corn and tomatoes from my garden. The flavors are light, a little zesty and simply delish! When I came home from my trip, I spent 1 1/2 hours in the garden picking all of my tomatoes and peppers. I wasn’t sure what to do with them all, but all I knew is I was craving a little fiesta. So I came up with this recipe that is perfect as a main meal, a side dish or even scooping tortilla chips in it. Heck you could also use it as taco filling.
I used quite a bit of poblano peppers in this recipe, but they are pretty mild. You could also use Anaheim peppers too. If your afraid of heat from peppers, a bell pepper would be a good substitute. One of the key things in making this recipe is having your ingredients ready to use. I found myself cutting tomatoes when it was cooking and I couldn’t cut quick enough. I did cheat a bit and used already cooked rice from Trader Joe’s. Have you ever used their frozen brown rice? It’s so good and ready in 3 minutes. I love that! You can’t even tell it was frozen. I keep my freezer stocked with it.
- Serves: 6 cups
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 172
- Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 32
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 452
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 7
- Cholesterol: 0
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 3 poblano pepper (about a cup), seeded, diced small
- 1¾ cups black beans from a can, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp cilantro, dried
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. black ground pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced, seeded
- 2 dashed hot sauce
- In a skillet, over medium-low heat add olive oil and garlic. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add onion and poblano peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in the corn, cilantro, oregano, black ground pepper, salt and lime juice. Mix until combined; cook for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice; until combined. Stir in tomatoes and hot sauce and cook for about 4 minutes more.
- Tastes good warm or cold.
You can freeze this too for a quick side dish or meal.
I love simple dishes like this that is easy to throw together for a last-minute meal. It’s full of protein, fiber and will keep you full. It makes for a great dinner or lunch. Oh and to kick up the heat, I added more hot sauce to my bowl. 🙂
Have a great Sunday! Stay tuned for more fun recipes!