Today I have for you a recipe that I have been wanting to make, you have to love the Food Bucket List. It’s made with 4 of my favorite ingredients, bacon, maple syrup, bourbon and jalapeno. Yum! It’s funny but this combination tastes amazing together! I love it!! It’s Bourbon Bacon Jam!
This jam is not like any other. It’s sweet, savory and has a little kick of heat from the jalapeno. You can always skip the jalapeno if you want, but you know me and peppers, I just can’t get enough. I saw this recipe on Martha Stewart’s website and thought with a few modifications it will become the jam I love! I was right!
- 1½ pound sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups vidalia onion, finely sliced
- 4 small cloves garlic, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- ½ jalapeno, seeded
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprkia
- ½ tsp. ground mustard
- ½ cup bourbon
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup light-brown sugar
- In a large skillet, add bacon. Cook until crispy, about 15 minutes. Add bacon to plate lined with a paper towel to cool. Drain the fat from the pan, but leave 1 tablespoon of bacon fat.
- In the pan that you cooked the bacon, add onions, garlic and jalapeno. Cook until transparent; about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, paprika and mustard powder, cook for 1 minute more. Add bourbon and maple syrup. Bring to a boil. Add vinegar and brown sugar and bring to a boil.
- Place heat on low and add bacon. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until liquid is reduced and becomes thick. Stir occasionally.
- To make smoother; add to a food processor and process until smooth. I like it better that way than chunky. The photos of the jam are pre-processed in the food processor.
- Let the jam cool, than store in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks.
- To use, re-heat a little bit in the microwave.
Recipe adapted by Martha Stewart.
At the last minute after photographing this recipe, I decided to add the jam to my food processor and process it to make it smoother. You can check out the photo on Instagram. So you have an option to keep it smooth or chunky, either way works great.
This jam tastes great topped on a burger, hot dog or a sandwich. It’s a nice way to add a little bit of flavor to your meal. This would also make for a gift during the holiday time. After all I think most people would love some Bacon Jam!
Have a super great day!
Oh how I adore bacon jam. Adding bourbon and jalapeno is genius.
Kristi @ My SF Kitchen says
MMM I love bacon jam!
Mary Frances says
Wow–this is one of the most unique jam recipes I’ve ever seen!! It looks delicious!