Today the #SundaySupper gang teamed up with Beef Checkoff to show you that you can have protein rich foods in every meal. I joined the 30 day Protein Challenge which helps you to get 25 – 30 grams of protein in every meal. Why protein you wonder? Protein helps build muscles, it fills you up, it’s low carb and combining protein with healthy fat helps speeds the metabolism.
For my challenge, I was to make a healthy, high protein lunch to help fill you up until dinner. I decided to make one of my favorite sandwiches, which is Beef Gyros. Gyros is pronounced “Gyear-ose”, with the ‘g’ kind of aspirated. I will admit I pronounce it wrong, but that’s ok because I made a killer sandwich and that is all that counts.
For the beef I used Steak Tips. I marinated the beef for 4 hours in olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic oregano and salt & pepper. I skewered it and grilled it for about 4 minutes per side. The meat was perfectly tender and not tough at all. Nothing worse than having a steak sandwich that is chewy and hard to swallow. You won’t have to worry about that in this recipe.
I served my Gyros with tomatoes and onion and drizzled it with an easy cucumber dressing made with greek yogurt. It’s light and refreshing. This sandwich is also light to, it didn’t feel to heavy and it was perfect for lunch. One thing I forgot in this recipe is feta cheese. I bought it, but it slipped my mind. After eating my Gyro I realized I forgot the cheese. That’s ok, because it was so good I actually didn’t miss it.
- Serves: 4 sandwiches
- Serving size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 414
- Fat: 18
- Carbohydrates: 31
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 290
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 32
- Cholesterol: 72
- 1 lbs. Beef Steak Tips, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp.red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
- 4 pita breads
- Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 cup cucumber, diced small
- 3 tbsp dill, fresh, diced small
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- In a bowl, add garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper, mix until combined. Add meat to a zip top bag or bowl, and pour marinade over the beef. Refrigerate for 1 hour up to 4 hours.
- Set grill to medium low heat, you can place meat on a skewer or place directly onto grill grates. Cook each side for about 4 minutes. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes.
- Evenly divide the meat on a pita shell, top with tomatoes, onions, feta cheese and serve with Tzatziki Sauce.
- For Tzatziki Sauce: In a food processor or blender, add the cucumber and half of the yogurt, process until well blended. Add mixture to a bowl and stir in remaining yogurt, dill, lemon juice, garlic salt and pepper. Add additional salt, if needed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
I hope you will join me in the 30 day Protein Challenge! It’s a great way to get your protein in and it can help you to lose weight or maintain your weight. To get more information, you can go here.
Looking for more Protein packed recipes? You can check out our Pinterest board. You will find great recipe, beautiful photos and get ideas to make your own protein rich foods. Just go here to check it out!
You can check out Beef Checkoff at the following:
I hope you have a great rest of the weekend! See you tonight at 7pm (EST) for the #SundaySupper and Beef Checkoff Twitter party. Just use hashtag #SundaySupper.
<Start your day deliciously:
- Avocado Crostini with Beef and Eggs by Whole Food | Real Families
- Beef and Cheddar Quiche by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Migas by Shockingly Delicious
- Chicken Fried Steak and Eggs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Mexican Shredded Beef Breakfast Burritos by Magnolia Days
- Philly Cheesesteak Breakfast Wrap by Family Foodie
Power up at lunch:
- Beef Gyros by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Shaking Beef Cobb Salad by Nosh My Way
- Flank Steak and Caramelized Onion Flatbread by In The Kitchen With KP
- Taco Pasta Salad by Alida’s Kitchen
- Ultimate Mushroom Swiss Patty Melt by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Yam Nuea Yang (Spicy Thai Beef Salad) by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Make a fantastically satisfying Sunday Supper:
- Bacon Cheeseburger Quinoa Skillet by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Tenderloin with Ratatouille by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Beef Teriyaki Kabobs by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gochujun (Korean Stuffed Pan-fried Peppers) by kimchi MOM
- Pan Seared Steak with Garlic Butter by Life Tastes Good
- Whisky Marinated Skirt Steak with Chimmichurri Sauce by Food Done Light
- Spinach Stuffed Steak Pinwheels by The Dinner-Mom
Get your knife supply ready:
- Four Essential Knives by the Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.