Today for #SundaySupper we are sharing back to school recipes. As a kid I used to love going back to school, you get new clothes, school supplies and of course you get to see your friends. But one thing I didn’t care for was lunch. You know what I had for lunch from 1st grade to 6th grade? This is going to sound so gross, but I used to have a bologna sandwich with butter served on Wonder Bread. Talk about sticking to the roof of your mouth. Yuck gross! To this day I won’t touch bologna. It’s just yucky to me. So today I am sharing with you a recipe I wish I could have had for lunch which is Turkey Pinwheels.
This isn’t your ordinary Turkey Pinwheels but it is made with cheddar cheese, turkey and tomatoes. It kind of tastes like a quesadilla with turkey. Yum! Normal pinwheels are made with cream cheese, but I thought if you were to give this to your kids for lunch the cream cheese may not be very good and I wouldn’t want to risk my kids getting sick and besides cheddar cheese rocks.
To make the Turkey Pinewheels its supper simple. I took a flour tortilla, sprinkled it with my cheese and microwaved it for 45 seconds. The cheese is perfectly melted. Then I topped it with turkey and tomatoes, rolled it up and I let it sit for a minute. Letting it sit, makes the cheese hold the tortilla together. Then I took a pizza cutter sliced it into 5 pieces. Perfect!
A simple cheesy tortilla filled with turkey and tomatoes and cut into slices. A perfect, quick lunch.
- 1 8" flour tortilla shell
- 1/2 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (or cheese of choice)
- 2 oz. turkey meat
- 1 small tomatoe, seeded, sliced
- Sprinkle cheese on flour tortilla, place on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 45 seconds or until cheese is melted. Add turkey, then tomatoes. Roll up starting at one end. Let it sit for a minute and cut into slices.
Calories: 249, Fat: 9, Cholesterol: 39, Potassium: 317, Carbs: 24, Fiber: 14, Sugar: 2, Protein: 19
Note: My tortilla was a Mission Carb at 120 calories.
There are so many variations of turkey pinwheels you could do. Here are a few turkey pinwheel combos for you that I thought would be great.
- Monterrey Jack Cheese, turkey with roasted peppers
- Pepper Jack Cheese with turkey and jalapenos
- Mozzarella Cheese with turkey, tomatoes, spinach and balsamic glaze
- Cheddar Cheese with turkey, cucumbers, tomatoes
I can’t wait to check out the rest of the gang for back to school lunches. I may not be in school but it’s always nice to have different options for lunch.
Have a great rest of the weekend.
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Muffins from Killer Bunnies
- Make Ahead Waffle Casserole from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Apple Muffins from Meal Diva
- Apple Oat Breakfast Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Toast Three Ways from Foxes Love Lemons
Back to School Lunches and Simple Suppers
- Owl Bento Box from Simply Gourmet
- First Day of School Pinwheels from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Quick and Easy Hot Pastrami Sliders from Webicurean
- Grilled Chicken Revamp from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken and Zucchinin Meatballs from Casa de Crews
- Clean Eating Lunches Your Kids will Love from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Crispy Chicken Legs from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- DIY Veggie Cup Noodles from Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Nuggets from Nosh my Way
- Skinny Spinach Mac and Cheese from Take a Bite out of Boca
- Chicken Schnitzle from Panning the Globe
- Berry Nutty Bento from Ninja Baking
- Spagetti and Chicken Meatballs from Soni’s Food
- Chopped Shrimp Salad with Honey Lime Vinagraitte from The Weekend Gourmet
- Steak & Cheese Pockets from Momma’s Meals
- Turkey Pinwheels from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Back to School Sips
Back to School Super Snacks
- Nutty Granola from Life Tastes Good
- On the Go Guacamole from Shannon at Country Girl in the Village
- Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Playground Granola Bars from Noshing with the Nolands
- Apricot Dip from Magnolia Days
- Parmesan Garlic Oven Roasted Chick Peas from Ruffles and Truffles
- Home Made Graham Crackers from Curious Cuisiniere
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Gluten Free Apple Zucchini Flax Bread from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Beef and Veggie Sliders from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Popcorn from Simply Healthy Family
- Frushi (Fruit Sushi) from Mama Bee Does
Back to School Sweets and Treats
- Open Face PB & J Cookies from Desserts Required
- Berry Topped Chocolate Silk Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Paletas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Love Note Doodle Bugs from Happy Baking Days
- Frozen Yogurt Mud Pies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brown Butter Peanut Butter Crispy Treats from The Texan New Yorker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.