Happy Tuesday to you! Today’s recipe is one of those random ones that I whipped together for a quick week night meal. It’s loaded with lots of veggies and well kind of tastes like a pizza topping to me. I love when you throw things together and it turns out delish! So today I have for you my Skillet Veggie Bake
This recipe makes a great use for those odds and ends veggies you may have left in the fridge. It’s made with peppers, zucchini, onion, and carrots and topped with tomato sauce and cheese! It’s like a pasta dish without the noodles.
I just added everything to my skillet and baked it in the oven until it was all bubbly and of course I had to top it with cheese. This makes for a wonderful, quick and easy weeknight dinner for 2. All you need to do is add a side with some crusty bread and a glass of wine! Plus to boot it’s only 173 calories for half the recipe.
A light, healthy, easy weeknight dinner made with fresh veggies, tomato sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese.
- 1 cup zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet bell pepper, thinly sliced into rings
- 1/3 cup onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 5 large basil leaves, torn
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded, fat free
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 10" skillet with cooking spray or a baking dish; set a side.
- In a bowl, mix together tomato sauce and tomato paste; set a side.
- Layer the skillet in this order, zucchini, sweet bell pepper, onion, carrots, basil, and tomato. Top with tomato sauce mixture and sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly. Take the skillet out of the oven and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Place back in the oven and bake for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Let it cool for a few minutes and serve. Top with Parmesan cheese and chili peppers if desired.
Calories: 173, Fat: .04, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 700, Potassium: 608, Carbs: 32, Fiber: 7, Sugar: 7, Protein: 11
These are the kind of meals that I whip together when I really don’t feel like cooking. It’s so simple, loaded with flavor and I just love it! Plus cooking it in a skillet makes it for a quick clean up!
Well Guys, I may not be around much today! But I will answer any questions or comments you may have.
Have a wonderful day!