Today for #SundaySupper we teamed up with American Family Insurance to share with you old favorite and comfort food recipes turned into a healthy version. One of our favorite comfort foods is good old fashion lasagna. So I thought how can I take this family favorite and turn it into something healthy that the whole family will love? Why not sub the lasagna with zucchini? After all I have so many zucchini’s from the garden that I don’t know what to do with it! So today I share with you our new favorite pasta-less dish Zucchini Meat Lasagna.
This is one fatty, thick, delicious lasagna. It’s kind of like vegetarian lasagna meets meat lasagna. It really, by far exceeded my expectations and to boot, my family loved it! It’s made with fresh zucchini, spinach, sautéed mushrooms, lean ground beef and lots and lots of cheese. It’s a great low carb dish, and it’s gluten-free! It’s the perfect comfort food and perfect for using up the bazillion zucchini’s that I have! You Guys have no idea how many zucchini’s I have. My one plant turned into two and I must pick one or two zucchini from it everyday!
This dish takes a little bit of time to make, but well worth effort. It makes 8 big, filling slices and has enough cheese to make your heart scream! Yeah, I kind of like cheese! It’s super easy to make too! I cooked my ground beef with some onions and garlic, set it a side and then sautéed up some mushrooms. Yes, I used mushrooms again. Their kind of growing on me. Crazy I know. I did cheat and use jarred pasta sauce, and that’s ok! Sometimes we need to cheat a little. Then I layered everything with sliced zucchini, ricotta cheese, meat and mushrooms and of course topping it with mozzarella cheese. Yummy!! I think you will love this dish, just as much as we love it!
When making this recipe there are a few things you need to know. For the zucchini I used yellow summer squash, since that is what I am growing in the garden, but green zucchini would work great too. Also since I didn’t use noodles the zucchini can become a little watery, so don’t be surprised if you have quite a bit of liquid, but trust me you don’t notice when you eat it! Oh and get this, 8 HUGE slices is only 193 calories and 15 carbs! Woohoo! Guilt-free lasagna! I love it! Yes, with those stats I’ will be making this all summer long!
- Serves: 8 servings
- Serving size: 1 serving
- 1lbs. ground beef, lean (I used 96/4)
- ¼ cup onion, diced small
- ½ tbsp. garlic minced
- 8 oz. portobello mushrooms, sliced small
- 1 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 5 cups zucchini, sliced about ¼"
- 2 cups spinach, fresh
- 1¾ cups ricotta cheese, fat free
- 24 oz jar pasta sauce (used Roasted Red Pepper Sauce)
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded part skim
- In a large skillet, over medium heat; add ground beef, onion and garlic and cook until beef is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain the fat. Add beef to a bowl; set a side.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In the same skillet you cooked your beef in, add mushrooms and chicken broth. Saute over medium heat until mushrooms are tender and chicken broth has evaporated; about 10 minutes.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread about a ¼ - ⅓ cups of pasta sauce to bottom of dish. Add 1 layer of zucchini to the bottom (cut zucchini in half if it doesn't fit), top with ½ the ground beef mixture, half mushroom mixture, half fresh spinach, top with half the ricotta cheese, top with another layer of zucchini and remaining ground beef, remaining mushrooms, remaining spinach and remaining ricotta cheese. Top with remaining zucchini and pour pasta sauce over the top and spread until evenly layered. Sprinkle top with mozzarella cheese. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 - 20 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
- Let the lasagna sit for 5 -10 minutes before serving.
I have to tell you I am so pleased with this dish! It’s so easy to make, loaded with lots of flavor and is simply amazing and perfect for a family meal and for using up zucchini!
I highly recommend checking out the Family Favorites Turned Healthy #ChooseDreams Pinterest board:
board to get more ideas on fresh, beautiful, family recipes turned healthy. You can go here to check it out!!
You can also check out AM Fam Social Media Sites below:
Be sure to also check out the rest of the #SundaySupper gang to see what their family favorites turned healthy.
Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!
Angel Hair & Zucchini Noodles with Fresh Tomato Sauce by Ruffles & Truffles
Baked Vegetable Egg Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
Beef Stroganoff by Country Girl in the Village
Buffalo Cauli-Tots by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Corn and Crab Chowder by The Dinner-Mom
Crab Cake Salad by Family Foodie
Grilled Portabella Mushrooms On Red Pepper Slaw with Cucumber Dressing by Seduction In The Kitchen
Healthy Chicken Salad by Run DMT
Lighter Beef Tacos by Alida’s Kitchen
Meatballs with Vegetable Noodles and Fresh Tomato Sauce by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Roasted Cauliflower Mac & Cheese by The Messy Baker
Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms and Spinach by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Superfood Pancakes by girlichef
Tex Mex Enchilada Skillet Lasagna by Neighborfood
Zucchini Meat Lasagna by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Chewy Coconut Granola Bars by Savvy Eats
Enlightened Southern Banana Puddings by The Weekend Gourmet
Mom’s Fruit Salad by Magnolia Days
Strawberry Vanilla Canapés by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Zucchini Carrot Snack Cake by The Foodie Army Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—>Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.